wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:15 PM

What I wanted to get wasn't the popular type of truck.  Single cab 4WD with 8' bed.(

Reading this brought back my memories of looking for my truck a little over three years ago. All I wanted was a 2004-up Ford F-150 regular cab long bed with under 100k miles and around $10k and V8 power. The easy part was finding them in grey and white with 150k miles and dents all over for under $10k. Then I found myself a nice red 2004 Ford F150 reg cab long bed with 73k miles for a decent price with the small V8 (more than enough power for me).
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#32 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,313 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:36 PM

The funny part is my '01 Chev is our newest rig. The other two are: '93 Nissan HB, 4 cyl, 5 sp. Good mileage and dependable little truck. The other an '89 Buick century, V6 and auto w/ 130 k on the odometer. Still a good , economical car. I tell people I'd rather make an occasional "payment" on these than make monthly payments for yrs.

Mike 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#33 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 12:35 AM

The prices are getting nuts for everything.  My uncle went to but a new truck last year and he got sticker shock too.  He's been buying trucks from the same dealer every 2-4 years since '96.  They've always been the same. Ram 2500 hd diesel 4x4 with a 5 or 6 speed standard and towing and plow packages and hes only ever paid around 28000-30000 for them.  I own the '02 he bought new and it has the window sticker in it still saying it was custom built for him and the price was $34,780.  But at the time he traded in his '98 and got about 2500 in factory discounts.  Went last year to get another one and the same guy as last time is still working there told him the new version of his '06 would cost him 59,500 and they'd only give him 2300 for his trade in and there was no discounts.  He ended up getting a 1500 4x4 fully loaded for about 21000 outright with a bunch of factory and dealer discounts.  I guess it just comes down to the factory/dealers don't want to sell heavy work trucks anymore so they price them out of sight

My BIL had a 3/4 Ton Cummins Turbo Diesel RAM.  That thing had a ton of torque!  I swear it could pull a house off it's foundation!  He had to put a couple trannys and turbos in it but the thing was a great hauler.  He's sorry he ever sold it!!

#34 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 04:51 AM

I really think the problem with the new vehicles is in the financing! it is becoming like the housing market 10 years ago, all you need is a pulse and a pen and you can finance your dream truck.  I see so many 18year old kids riding around in 60k trucks and cannot for the life of me figure out how they are paying for them.  the trouble with this is that eventually the market will crash and all of us will wind up paying for them in one way or the other.

I drive a 2000 s-10 daily and love my little truck but living in the northeast rust is eating it alive, I cannot find a decent used truck I am willing to shell out the cash for.  second hand vehicle's around here are fetching $10k with 100k on the clock, for stuff that is 10 years old. things I used to be able to pick up for $2k on the side of the road are now on dealer lots for $8k.

I am looking brand new now but will probably wind up driving my truck thru the winter and getting another second hand one in the spring.

Pete

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#35 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Tell me about it!!!!! I am driving 02 toilet oder tundra .. Gas guzzling, powerless, cantfind parts unless mail ordered truck! I hate this thing... This is what I get for listening to the wife.... Well now this truck will need the rear end rebuilt as it is getting noisy. Typical of these, they take out the Axel bearings if you tow or haul anything heavy.
Well I have been looking and cant believe how expensive they are.....43k for a 1/2 ton chevy crew cab ( need one now for the family) 46k for the same gmc. I hate Fords so they are out... Besides they too are out there, the Ram was the only one that wasnt 43 k or over.And it has a diesel option. Gm and all the others are really getting it tucked to them because of this too. Good !! GM SHAME SHAME on you!!!! The diesel 1/2 ton pioneer and you dropped the ball....... I see why you went bankrupt! Oh well ... Hopefully this new Ram diesel can tow the load the market has on it now, time will tell.

#36 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:09 AM

the Ram was the only one that wasnt 43 k or over.And it has a diesel option.

Hopefully this new Ram diesel can tow the load the market has on it now, time will tell.

I take it you haven't actually priced the Pentastar diesel RAM? My nearest dealer has two, 47K and 50K.

#37 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:19 AM

What is a pentastar ? Never heard of it? Ram is using the VM- Motor I 3.0 liter v6 diesel in the 1/2 ton?? Oh and I wasn't looking for a loaded unit, just nicely equipped the loaded units were all 50k plus and a 3/4 ton diesel was off the charts starting at 53k+ and your location definitely makes a diff. With rebates and all.

Edited by skyrydr2, October 25, 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#38 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:28 AM

He may be referring to the pentastar 3.6. Those are nice trucks and I turned one down last year for 26k loaded up. Left over 13

#39 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 04:40 PM

New vehicle prices seem insane to me.  Add in 66, 72, and 84 month financing and you get a mess.  I like the idea of knowing how it is cared for since day one but have a hard time justifying new when depreciation, registration (value based in Iowa), and insurance figure in.  

As for a new Ram - the Pentastar 3.6 is appealing and the 3.0 VMI diesel is really appealing... until I look at the sticker. 

#40 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Anyone ever tells you that a V-6 and Automatic can't pull a load might want to look at this. No problems with highway speeds and still gets respectable milage. That's a Ford 850 with loader and backhoe. 

Ford and Ford.JPG

#41 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I think I seen a mom picking up her kids from soccer in one of those. :poke:

#42 JohnWR OFFLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I will never buy a new truck i would love a 2500 HD duramax crew cab but even used it's still out of range. Today i prepped a special edition tundra 63K i can't believe someone would actually buy one for that price. I also prepped a land cruiser a few weeks ago 88K who could need a suv for the price of a house. So for now i'll stick to my 97 k1500.

Edited by JohnWR, October 25, 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#43 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 10:22 PM

I think I seen a mom picking up her kids from soccer in one of those.  :poke: 

Yes and my family called it my "Yuppy truck" when we brought it home. And yes the box doesn't hold much but the wife likes it. The reason I use this for towing is because it has a heavier hitch than the old P.U.. 

Edited by Cvans, October 25, 2014 - 10:27 PM.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#44 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:39 PM

i can never see buying anything new right now, everything is way overpriced i will admit they do look nice but the prices dont. i will just stick to what i can buy in cash and fix at home. 

Anyone ever tells you that a V-6 and Automatic can't pull a load might want to look at this. No problems with highway speeds and still gets respectable milage. That's a Ford 850 with loader and backhoe. 

attachicon.gifFord and Ford.JPG

what engine is in that?

#45 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 12:16 AM

what engine is in that?

210 hp. 4.0 V-6  if Google is telling the truth.