Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Anything About The Hydraulics On A Timberjack/john Deere Forwarder?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hello all,

I have a customer at work that has a 1998 Timberjack TJ610 forwarder that the hydraulics are making a cavitation/screaming noise.  This was made the year that John Deere bought them out so its the older electric hydraulic system and not the computer controlled one.  You can start the machine and run it for a few minuets before the noise starts but once it does if you push one of the buttons for the grapple controls it goes away for the rest of the time you're running it.  If you shut it of for maybe a half hour and start it back up it'll do it again.  When its doing it and you put your hand on the lines coming off the pump they just feel warm, there's no vibration coming from them.  The customer called a John Deere construction dealer and got the manuals but they really couldn't be bothered to help with a piece of forestry equipment.  They did suggest he put in a new relief valve because that might be the problem so he did and it didn't fix it.  He is also running it with the more expensive Tractor Supply hydraulic oil.  But it might have been making the noise before he doesn't remember.  Thanks in advance.            Stewart

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:34 PM

No experience with that machine but a good bit with hydraulics.

First thing I'd check would be that the TSC oil specs match what the manual calls for.

Can you see the hydro oil foaming in the tank? If it's not foaming I'd then get it to make the noise for as long as I felt safe doing it and shoot every part of the hydro system with a laser thermometer that I could looking for a hot spot.

After that it's time to hook up the pressure gauges and/or flowmeter for some tests.

• diesel nut and superaben have said thanks