7 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 11:11 AM

Ok, so my 318 has been sitting for a few months, i've been using the walker to cut the grass. I find its so much faster. But the snow is coming and I've only got a blower for my JD318. I'm allergic to shovelling I should mention.

Anyway , I went to start it and I get one single click and then everything goes dead, no dash lights nothing. Disconnect the battery, wait awhile and it will reset to the point where I get dash lights.

I check the relay down beside the starter and I've only got 5v heading out to the starter solenoid when I turn the key to start. Also there seems to be a ground heading from this relay to the starter?

I'm looking for a accurate wiring diagram and some advice on how start troubleshooting this? Mine is the late 80's model , 

The click seems to be coming from the blackbox (time delay module) under the battery? 

I was thinking I should start by jumping the starter and see if it turns the engine over? 

Any advise would be appreciated.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 11:21 AM

First thing I would do is make sure you have  good clean ground from the battery to the engine. It sounds like a bad ground to me.

• Jehtro, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I'd check the voltage across the battery and clean the terminals. If its okay, check the voltage at each point getting to the starter. I have one of the $3 multimeters from HF and it works well for this kind of troubleshooting. As Brian said check your grounds for good clean contact.

Get it running and then find a cab for it. Good Luck, Rick

• Jehtro said thank you

#4 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:57 PM

I had a cab for it and I actually sold it, When I had it on my other tractor I found to be a pain to use.

Just too tight in the shed, got stuck once and couldn't open the door with snow banks,

Then we had last winter and I was kicking myself. LOL,

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:47 PM

As long as you wake up the next morning it isn't too serious, don't worry about the past mistakes. Take them as lessons for the future. Just make something out of EMT and plexiglas for a top and a windshield. I was thinking that a plastic shower stall bottom would make a good roof.

Were you affected by the great ice storm of 15 years ago? Good Luck, Rick
  • Jehtro said thank you

#6 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:58 PM

Jehtro::

I would echo what was said by the other members above. I had a similar problem with my 318 and fixed it by aggressively sanding the battery posts and the insides of the connectors to the posts.

But if that doesn't work, I have the 318 technical manual and operators manual scanned in as PDFs that I could send to you. They should help diagnose the problem.

Harlan

• Jehtro said thank you

#7 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think I might have found the problem, I believe it's in the positive battery terminal,

I pulled the battery to get a better look and then I connected the terminals to the battery with jumper cables,

I noticed the dash lights would come on and off when I touched the positive cable.

So I've grabbed some new end's, soder on ones, I was watching YouTube and the one guy showed connecting them by filling half with soder like a bowl , then just dipping the end in.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Finally got the JD running again today, new battery, new connections. Works great

Decided to get a trickle charger battery maintainer, it came with a quick connect end which I wired in direct. Planning on leaving that on when it's idle.

Can't believe how well it starts with that little battery, those old universal battery connections must have been giving me grief for years.

17bfec750b305c8410c0ad2497b9d28e.jpg

31547d61e92ea32c4aee59efa6e936e2.jpg
  • Alc and Cat385B have said thanks