9 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,435 Thanks
  • 1,244 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Although I need to free the rusted up ignition switch on the Suburban 12 that I just hauled in to see if it is a runner or close,first things first,it needed some major cleaning. So today I pulled the engine tin and went to work with the pressure washer. The mice have checked all the insulation off of part of the plug wire and I am wondering if they done any damage behind the flywheel. I think I will check or spark before pulling the flywheel.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears Suburban 12.jpg 12.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 13.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 14.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 15.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 16.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 10.jpg

• MH81, Alc and hamman have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,733 Thanks
  • 1,102 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hate them mices to pieces,looks like they were having a good old time in there.

NOTE be careful cleaning that mess outta there,we had a customer that got a barn find classic car and was blowing out years of crap like that and got a lung infection,thought it was a bad cold and took a pass on seeing a doctor and when he wound up in the e/r it was to late,he died two days later.

• Bill56, rustyoldjunk, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,374 Thanks
  • 29,098 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:04 AM

I hope it got a tummy ache. Little b^%£€+*ds.
I had one not quite that bad, used heat shrink tubing and silicone.
Slid tubing on, filled with silicone until it came out other end, then tried to center and put heat to it.after it had cured a day, I put another layer of shrink over it. Seems to be holding fine
  • Bill56, rustyoldjunk, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,814 Thanks
  • 6,823 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Here's just one more way to seal/insulate  those coil wires , High Voltage Electric tape from 3M ,  I used this to repair the high voltage lead for an old TV .  That's Bill for the reminder of the mice poo , 

http://solutions.3ma...1be2R3TDRZMR3gl

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I just picked up a Simpson's Supremacy 15 with a Clinton B700 series engine.  It had a similar problem.  

DSCF8267.JPG DSCF8268.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, October 24, 2014 - 08:23 AM.

• rustyoldjunk and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,435 Thanks
  • 1,244 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:54 AM

I just hope they didn't ruin the solid state ignition. If they did,it could put a stop to me using this engine,at least for now.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,971 Thanks
  • 6,736 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Had same issue, BUT, with two little guys still hiding in it too. They ran off before I could get them!  Mice pee is like an acid and stinky too. Luckily I had a spare engine that came with that had good ignition parts.  There is a way to open and repair these with car parts. Fella has site online to see how, and also will fix yours. I don't have that link now, maybe a Google search or other guys here know?  Finding Used is hard and expensive, I found out.

I keep hearing about the mouse junk issues when I was doing old cars and trucks. Never had problems, but might have been just lucky, I DID alot of blowing and hosing out of old rigs to clean up mice. They like Glove boxes and seats best!

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,732 Thanks
  • 5,091 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Are you sure that is an SSI module, it doesn't look like one. That looks like the early magneto ignition.

The engine tins usually had it stated "Solid state ignition" also, don't  see that on yours.

Looks like it might be a decent tractor once cleaned up.... of course I am biased  :thumbs:

The Kohler on the Snapper  (PK) I bought over the summer has to come out, the flywheel tins are packed solid, even has a couple nut hauls lying in there. Figures my luck, flywheel is up against firewall so motor has to be pulled. 

Edited by TAHOE, October 25, 2014 - 06:53 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,374 Thanks
  • 29,098 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Some CDI units weren't triggered by pins, but were triggered by the magnets underneath.
Completely different setup under the flywheel, less common, sometimes cheaper on eBay.
This engine is not easily changeable to automotive style as it doesn't have any pins to trigger.

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,435 Thanks
  • 1,244 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 10:43 AM

GL I had the same experience. When I was first checking this tractor over a mouse jumped out and ran away. Great now I'm importing more mice,as if I don't have enough around here already. TAHOE it's a solid state unit. I just didn't get a good picture,it states it on the engine tin also. You are right,it will by a good tractor once the bugs are worked out.I am not as biased,I haul in any and all brands and I have for over 15 years. Now,don't get me wrong,I have favorite brands and models. With that said Sears Surburbans and Customs have became favorites of mine over the years. The steering effort is light and the steering stays tighter then most old tractors for the most part it seems. ( Better than old most  Wheel Horse tractors on average IMHO and Wheel Horses are a favorite of mine.),The frames are them are as strong as about any old GT,and stronger some. These old Sears when they are running right run steer and drive so nice and have such a solid feel that they are just plain fun to use.The only place Sears dropped the ball (IMHO) not offering hydraulic lift. ( I know they offered electric lift.) MH,the ignition is the only bad spot on these engines. I am hoping the ignition is still good because like you said, these aren't easy to convert to a different setup and parts aren't easy to come by or cheap. I could do a engine swap but I would just as soon keep the tractor original. Once I go get a ignition switch I will know more.

• MH81 said thank you