• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thadscub OFFLINE  

thadscub

• Member No: 1913
  • 69 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 10:18 PM

i was wondering if their is a toqrque spec for the rear lug bolts i have always have just put them on as tight as i can with a rathchet and socket

thanks thad

• hamman said thank you

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:16 AM

In a perfect world very bolt has a torque spec but torque values change if bolt is clean and dry or has oil on it or anti sieze on it.Down load a manual for your machine and it may be in there.

If you can't find a spec just tighten em down good and you should be good to go---just don't go at it with a 3 foot breaker bar tho

I always put anti sieze or a few drops of oil on lug bolts and lug nuts,keeps em from rusting.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hamman have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Just go by feel. For years everyone just tightened car wheels tight and it was good enough. With modern cars they want you to use a specific torque. With a GT I'm thinking it's not that critical as long as it stays tight. Bill has good advice in the post above this.

• hamman said thank you

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Just go by feel. For years everyone just tightened car wheels tight and it was good enough. With modern cars they want you to use a specific torque. With a GT I'm thinking it's not that critical as long as it stays tight. Bill has good advice in the post above this.

yes i just do the same for all the bolts.  figured if it falls off im not going fast enough to hurt.  but on vehicles with not stock wheels and big tires i always recheck torque a few times with them just to be sure

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:33 PM

The only real thing I have found that really needs to be torqued down is motor parts they say to do it on car wheels but when you take it to the shop have them put tires on guess what you hear ? Hmm a impact wrench probably not torquing it to factory specs.

#6 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 03:26 PM

The only real thing I have found that really needs to be torqued down is motor parts they say to do it on car wheels but when you take it to the shop have them put tires on guess what you hear ? Hmm a impact wrench probably not torquing it to factory specs.

You won't find that here in Ontario. They may run the nuts up with an air gun, but then they back them off and use a torque wrench to set them properly.

There's a pretty stiff fine involved if the DOT catches them doing otherwise.

• WHdbJD said thank you

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:35 PM

You won't find that here in Ontario. They may run the nuts up with an air gun, but then they back them off and use a torque wrench to set them properly.

There's a pretty stiff fine involved if the DOT catches them doing otherwise.

We used torque sticks, they were matched to one impact gun. Was always within a couple foot-pounds of exact. Always check atleast one lug per vehicle atleast.

#8 WHdbJD OFFLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:41 PM

We used torque sticks, they were matched to one impact gun. Was always within a couple foot-pounds of exact. Always check atleast one lug per vehicle atleast.

What is a "torque stick" ??

#9 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:47 PM

http://www.torquestick.com/

Here's a link.
  • WHdbJD said thank you

#10 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:09 AM

i was going to suggest getting the torque extension bars for the air wrench.

The lightest one is rated at 65 ft-lbs which should be enough for most GTs.  I just run the air wrench at medium and not letting it bang away.

They work by twisting the usual amount of rotation that an air-impact gun will apply.  I've read that they don't work correctly for electric impact wrenches.

Suggest using one on a less valuable nut/bolt and see how much torque it takes to remove.