Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

This Is The Defination Of Pulling A Tractor Out Of The Weeds Or Mud.

porter cable moto mower lawnmaster

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 10:10 PM

I went to see my brother about 40 miles south of me today after getting a call from him. I answered the phone and he said "Do you still want that tractor".My answer "yes". The tractor sitting on the edge of his property belonged to the older gentleman who is his neighbor and his wife's side of the family. I had asked about the old Lawnmaster sinking into the dirt over the years and never got anywhere. A couple of weeks ago my brother asked again for me and was told $100. I said let it go. I got the call from my brother today telling me that the older gentleman told him,if he wanted to just drag it out and if you sell it keep the money. So he called me and said come and get it. Granted this thing is very rough. I am not sure what I will do with it yet but it's the hunt and dragging them home that seems as satisfying to me as what I will do with it next. The transaxle and engine are both free but like an idiot I did manage to break the front axle getting it out. I wont go into details but lets say before you try easing it out with the truck in 4 high,first get the tractor out of the ground. It was sunk far enough that the deck was underground. We had to cut several saplings to get it out then we had to dig and pry the tractor and deck loose and up out of the ground. Then we picked the front end straight up to clear all the little stumps,turned the tractor then had to roll it gently over to get it out. We prevailed in the end and most people would think that we were nuts for even trying,let alone staying at it until we got it freed and out. Even my brother and his wife seemed to question why we were doing this :smilewink:. I haven't looked it over yet I got home after dark so tomorrow I will check it out. At this point I am thinking maybe slightly custom antique GT. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Lawnmaster tractor.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 2.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 3.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 4.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 5.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 6.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 7.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 8.jpg
  • Lawnmaster tractor.jpg 9.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Nice story. Anyone say how it got there. It looks like it out lived the shelter leaving just hints of the metal frame.
  • rustyoldjunk, Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Sawdust. We had to cut some of the metal frame to get it out. It was a mini greenhouse at one time with plastic over it. As for how it got there my brother's wife's family have been on the acreage there since the 50's or before. They parked it there and left it at some point. Not but a 100 or so feet away from where this little tractor was sitting,sits a unstyled model B John Deere that a family member who got sick in the 60's parked right there and now it is almost rotted to the point of no return.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:49 PM

Have you figured out what it is yet?
Is the axel fixable?
Thanks for taking us along.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:11 AM

MH it's a Lawnmaster. I had one years back and did quite a bit of research on them. I have several nice pages of tractor and attachments ads for Porter Cable Mark 1 tractors which are the same tractor as a early Lawnmaster. Porter Cable sold off their lawn and garden tractor line around 1960 to Moto-Mower who was owned by Duro corp. (Porter Cable also owned and sold off the Roto-Tiller brand at the same time but a different company bought Roto-Tiller.) Moto-Mower built and badged tractors for several companies including Moto-Mower,Lawnmaster,and Massey Ferguson ( Massey Executive ),etc. There is a thread here on the site somewhere,where I posted some Porter Cable info a good while ago. 

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 24, 2014 - 12:13 AM.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:16 AM

I knew I'd seen the steering wheel before.
Same as the early MF Execs
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:18 AM

Yup, the hunt is fun, and good luck with it. You never know what might be salvageable. Hey, if guys can salvage and restore this thing, anything is possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6.jpg
  • 9.jpg

Edited by classic, October 24, 2014 - 12:21 AM.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:13 AM

Nice deal on that.  Who made the trans. for those?  I've come close to having to cut trees to get a couple machines out before but was able to work around them.  And I picked up a Panzer off ebay once and when I got there it had a sapling grown up between the engine and frame that the seller cut off to move the tractor.

Yup, the hunt is fun, and good luck with it. You never know what might be salvageable. Hey, if guys can salvage and restore this thing, anything is possible.

Is that the WW2 tank they found in Poland?

#9 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 01:43 AM

Rustyoldjunk that last picture reminds me of some craigs list ad----Ran when parked :D

And as far as that tank goes,my guess is who ever swamped it 70 some years ago got sent to the Russian front. :(

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and classic have said thanks

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:02 AM

I think that was the tank in Poland. I remember watching that tank restoration show when they pulled a German tank from a river to restore it. I think it was a Tiger, and an 8mm round when off in the turret while they were using a torch.
  • rustyoldjunk and Alc have said thanks

#11 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:28 AM

He was sent to stalag 13, were there has never been a successful escape !
  • rustyoldjunk, diesel nut and Bill 76 have said thanks

#12 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Great find with that early porter cable lawnmaster.

My understanding is that the trasaxle was built by porter cable (then moto-mower).   Available on these and re-branded machines.  I haven't heard if there where any changes over the entire production run.

Edited by motobreeder, October 24, 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I would have worked to get it out myself without a doubt!  Doesn't look that bad to me!

#14 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Nice find. For free you really can't go wrong, I love digging them up to.

If it can cast a shadow; it can be restored! :D

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#15 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks guys I'm not sure about the transaxle,that is something I would like to find out too. Bill,I have have seen those ads,some are crazy aren't they ? And they seem to be getting more frequent.Daniel,I agree. The engine is free,the trans is free and while it missing some sheet metal,I don't think it will take much to get this old tractor running and driving. MH I am going to try to find a welder that does cast iron and find out if it can be welded and and retain its strength.

• MH81, Bill 76 and classic have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: porter cable, moto mower, lawnmaster