Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I'm Out Of My League Here So Bear With Me, Please. Mf Gc2300.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hello all. My brother has come across an offer to buy? a MF GC2300. 2007 year and 240+/- hrs on it. 60" belly mower and rollbar.

It has been rolled on a steep hill and shows dents in the hood. Hydro-drive slipping badly. Throttle cable frozen. All else is unknown at the moment except for a factory recall that was taken care of.

I guess the questions would be ...

Is this worth pursuing or would it be more of a headache than it's worth?

Is the hydro a possible easy fix since the hours are low.

Cosmetics are not important to my brother. Just function.

I am almost certain the man wants $$$ of some kind since he told my brother to make an offer.

Any help/advise will greatly be appreciated. Now, I'm going back to what I know ... FMC Bolens. :thumbs:

• MH81 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 09:39 PM

I would be extremely concerned about how long it was running after it rolled.

Since you say the hydro is slipping, I infer that the tractor runs and moves? (sorta?)
  • MyBolens1053 said thank you

#3 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 09:49 PM

From my understanding with my brother. Owner will park it in the shed to protect it until my brother decides. Drove up a driveway and took forever, according to the owner.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 09:52 PM

If he drove the machine after righting it, without letting it sit for a long time and then checking things over carefully, he did some serious damage to it.
  • superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 10:26 PM

I have a 2007 MF GC 2300 with a 2200  hrs on it as of today. The throttle cable Had to be changed last year as it froze up from rust inside the cable housing,it was getting harder to throttle up all the time until it finally wouldn't budge anymore.{ even tried wd40 inside the cable] Ended up buy a new cable and all was good with it. Now for the hydro problems your speaking of if the tractor isn't reving up any more then on a idle they are very slow moving.The hdro on them especially in high range on a idle seems like its slipping it doesn't like to go up any hill or incline on a idle. Even in low range if your motor is just on a idle its not that responsive..If you can open the hood and throttle up the engine by pulling on the cable at the injection pump you'll see that the tractor does respond way better with a few more RPM's. Check to make sure that the hydralic oil is at least half way up showing in the site glass at the back of the tractor just to the lower left of the rear PTO shaft. You should beable to see oil in the glass [should be half full or better} When I first got mine I thought something was wrong with the hydro as well but it's just how it works. If you can get the motor to rev up you'll see a totally different machine,in how the hydro will perform. If you can put it in low range put it against a big tree and see if the tires will spin while the tractor is at a idle they should either spin or stall out the tractor. If you tried that in high range the tires won't spin. I doubt if there's any problems with the hydro. try what I mentioned and you'll see for youself what I mean about it needs a bit of RPM's to work properly. If you [he] can get the tractor cheap enough its worth buying. Good luck and let me know what happens.

• JDBrian, Cvans, diesel nut and 2 others have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:07 AM

Well worth pursuing if you can determine exactly how much damage was done by the rollover. You need to look at the frame to make sure it's not twisted or bent. The ROPS is bolted to the frame and has a lot of leverage so it can do some damage to the frame depending on how violent the rollover was. I second what was said above about the hydro. They need some rpms to work properly on most small tractors. At idle my 2320 will barely move and the transmission doesn't sound too happy. If you can get the rpms above 2000 it should start to respond better. It take a lot of pump flow to turn the drive motor fast enough for high ground speed. At low engine RPMs there just isn't enough flow available to do the job.

Have a look at the price of good used 2300s and adjust your offer accordingly. If you have time you might want to price a replacement part for the damaged hood as well.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 07:57 AM

I looked up the 2300 on Tractor House, and found them running at a low of $ 33oo and a high of $10,900 for used machines.
Most were in the area of $5,000 - $7,000. So if your brother can get it cheap enough to have it running and useable for around $5,000(give or take) I don't think he could get hurt on it. I do consider the Massey Ferguson to be one of the more desireable Sub Compacts and a very capeable machine.

When considering a used tractor and want to know what they are selling for around the country, I always go to Tractor House .com

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 24, 2014 - 08:35 AM.