#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Helped my neighbor find a good used powerflo / mc519 for his JD 425, he offered up his used 38T sweeper for free. Very nice deal, imo. I got about the greatest neighbors one could ask for, me thinks.

image.jpg image.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:46 PM

It has a small hole above the wheel in the first pic, and the smaller drive gear needs to be replaced. McMaster Carr should have the gear, TSC probably has JD Green duct tape.

Gonna look mighty sweet behind the Bolens, it will probably run better.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:34 PM

You got a better deal than I did on mine.  I had to give a 100 bucks for mine.  It works ok but I would like it better if it rode on just the front wheels.  It tends to slide around on the hill of the yard when you turn with the weight on the back wheels.

• Cat385B said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:43 PM

So I should do the road ditches when it's empty?

#5 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:51 PM

When I come down hill and turn with the hill to go back up or go along the hill the back end swings around and it goes all but sideways.  Sweeps ok just gotta watch the turns on the hills.  I've used it now for 3 or 4 years and I just ripped the bag this year as its starting to get dry rotted.  Have looked online on it and can't seem to find anything for it.

• Cat385B said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:06 AM

I picked up a sweeper last spring at a garage sale.  This will be the first fall that I will use it and I'm hoping it will make the annual task of leaf removal a lot easier.

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:37 AM

I got a Craftsman sweeper that was set out for the trash about 8 years ago. (no pictures ) It had been used about three (3) times, I talked to the owner and he said it wouldn't work properly. I picked it up along with the manual and parts lidt and took it home. When I got it home I put the wheels in the proper hole for height adjustment and it worked fine for many many years. It picked up most of what I wanted. I wanted it to pick up the pine needles so I drilled another hole so I could lower it a bit more. I also adjusted the brushes down a little and reversed them. It worked great. A couple of years ago I found a Parker Sweeper DSCF2495.JPG DSCF2496.JPG in the trash at the Township transfer site. I brought it home oiled it up and patched the bin and it also works well. I like it because it is an older one and I like the retro look. Last year my son brought home a Agri-Fab 48" sweeper. DSCF5246.JPG DSCF5248.JPG It still had a year left on the warranty. A customer of his used it so much it wore a hole in the bottom of the bin and wanted a new one....not the bin a new sweeper! I looked it over and patched the bottom and it works the best of any I have had. I can lower it to the lowest point and it will pick up 90% of the pine needles and pine cones. It does an excellent job on leaves. I normally just blow the leaves into the trees and leave them. This year I picked them up and put them in the garden to till in.      I am going to give both of my neighbors the other two I have. They both now have Oak trees in their yards that are producing a lot of leaves. Both are older and it would make it easier for both to pick up the leaves rather than raking them.                                                                                                  Roger.

Edited by hamman, October 24, 2014 - 10:38 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Helped my neighbor find a good used . . .                 I got about the greatest neighbors one could ask for, me thinks.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks to me like it goes both ways.

• hamman and Cat385B have said thanks

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:13 PM

funny, I have one made identical to that one, but not John deere, mine is black and gray. I got it free too!!!!

I used it one fall, going to give it away soon, just in my way. It didn't pick up leaves like I think it should and I have to take bin off and lift up over fence to dump every time. I don't make it around yard once and it's full. After 25-30 times of that, I just wind row leaves to fence with mower and leave them.  The leaves kill the green that grows up through the fence and on fence line.

I know many people love them, just doesn't work for me.

Jack or Sawdust or anyone else in Cincy area- if you want mine, come get it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bagger, 38t