• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I deal with 1/48 model planes and sometimes pickup train stuff. Here is a mixed lot of ho scale. I need to raise funds the david bradley suburban if interested pm me - make offer before i put on ebay

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-12-06_09-20-19_488.jpg

Edited by jabelman, December 06, 2014 - 09:35 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#47 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Look great.  I too was into HO model railroading.  My last layout was in a 14' X 70' trailer house.  10' of the end was a work shop and the rest was double main line, DCC controlled trains, and automatic block signal controlled just like the prototype. It take a tremendous amount of work to keep a layout that size, and his size operating.  Mine was tore down a year ago and sold.  Now into garden railroading.  If I can find some of the photos will throw them on here.  I do enjoy a lot of rail fanning.  In other words chasing train to get photos of them.  Probably have over a thousand photos along the BNSF line.  Managed to come up with a few of the prototype items too along the way.  The signal shed and lights came from a closed crossing in the local town.  A week ago I acquired a target signal from the same road.  That will go up in the spring.  The crossing signal is fully operational including the electronic bell.

Easter-1.JPG

Easter-2.JPG

Easter-3.JPG

Easter-4.JPG

Easter-5.JPG

Easter-6.JPG

• Alc, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#48 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 09:35 PM

That's very interesting. Do you take it all apart in the winter?

• Gabriel and chieffan have said thanks

#49 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 26, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Chief fan I like that a lot. I have been into HO for almost twenty years & love it. Now that I'm getting older the larger scales ate looking good to me especially the garden rr. I scratch build most all my own structures & cut my own scaled lumber. I like your layout along with some full size pieces. I'm on my phone right now & will be looking closer at your pics tomorrow.
  • chieffan said thank you

#50 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:09 AM

That's very interesting. Do you take it all apart in the winter?

The rail is all solid brass and the sunlight resistant plastic ties take the winter real good.  The track will need re-aligned next spring and the rail top will need cleaning.  All the buildings come in for minor repair if any.  Some of the buildings I bought at an auction.  Several I made myself from cedar.

• Alc, Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#51 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 08:22 AM

Chief fan I like that a lot. I have been into HO for almost twenty years & love it. Now that I'm getting older the larger scales ate looking good to me especially the garden rr. I scratch build most all my own structures & cut my own scaled lumber. I like your layout along with some full size pieces. I'm on my phone right now & will be looking closer at your pics tomorrow.

I get cedar strips for $5 a bundle.  A bundle is 6' long and 3' across, banded round.  Loaded on a trailer with a fork life.  Some of the buildings are made from 1/2" square cedar.  Others I use the square stock for the frame work and put vertical siding boards over with batten strips over the joints.  Weather proof glue is used along with an electric pin nailer.  You can buy the window and door insert pieces but they are well over 2 bucks each and can add $20 to a building real easy.  I attach plexiglass on the inside for the windows and door glass. One real nice part about G Scale is that it is very forgiving.  Not near as pickey as HO.  Right now I am building switch towers.  Have one done the other about half way.  Holidays stop production.  Want to get a coal mine done before spring.  Also working of how to make the search light signal operational.  No guts in the head at all.  They are powered with one 7 volt  bulb and a mechanism that rotates three colored lenses in front of the bulb.  In case of power failure it defaults to red.  Need to figure out how to rotate a colored lens and stop it at the right position.  Might take a little work on that project.

Edited by chieffan, December 27, 2014 - 08:23 AM.

• Alc, Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#52 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted December 27, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Neat garden railway. I had helped my dad put in a small garden set a few years ago. I built a small fish pond in the middle with a small stream running to it. Sure is neat to tinker with.

• Cvans said thank you

#53 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 29, 2014 - 02:05 PM

I have two dry washes running across mine to drain the rain water off.  They exit under a couple bridges and 2" pipe under the tracks.  Have several ground cover plants scattered about.  One area has perennial flowers covering one whole corner.  Adds a lot of cover and the train is hid behind them.  Those photos are 2 years old.  Need to get some updated ones.  Will post a couple shot of the buildings when the second one is done.  Just starting on the roof now.  Maybe tomorrow.

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#54 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Well, got delayed.  Had the granddaughter here for a couple days.  4 yo seem to demand our time when they are around.  Had a lot of fun but progress was delayed a bit on the building.  Got it done and attached are the photos of two elevated switch or gate towers.  Two different styles, both were commonly used by all railroads.  Scratch built out of cedar.  The larger on has ween treated with water seal.  the smaller one just had the trim painted so will get the water treatment tomorrow.  Next project is a coal mine operation. Enjoy.

El SW Towers-1.JPG          El Sw towers-2.JPG

• NUTNDUN, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#55 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 12:15 PM

Finished up another structure this morning.  Used thinned down gray primer on the siding to get an aged look.  Put a good coat of water seal on the roofs.  All cedar construction with floors in both parts.  Plex-a-glass on the inside for the windows.  I use DAP brand clear tub and tile adhesive and Caulking to attach the windows and the individual shingles when I use them.  Once it dries they are there to stay as that stuff will not let go.  Now on to a couple smaller buildings, between getting the cast wheels primed and painted off a Gardener I got the other day.  Have new tires and tube ready for dry paint.

Mine-1.JPG               Mine-2.JPG                                               

Edited by chieffan, January 10, 2015 - 12:18 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#56 Skullbone OFFLINE  

Skullbone
  • Member No: 62534
  • 106 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I haven't posted in a good while but I have still been keeping up with you. The reels turning and the wheats being harvested. Trying to get the bean field planted. Should have this diorama finished soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141228_212850776.jpg
  • IMG_20150112_161644350.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#57 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 10, 2015 - 10:42 AM

I haven't posted in a good while but I have still been keeping up with you. The reels turning and the wheats being harvested. Trying to get the bean field planted. Should have this diorama finished soon.

Looking good! Thanks for the update and pictures!

Edited by Gabriel, February 10, 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#58 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Wanted to post an update for David, aka "Skullbone".  Just found out today why he's been away from here for so long.  David had a stroke last May.  He is still kicking though!  His brother Richard gave me a call after I tried contacting David to let me know what had happened.  David now has limited use of his right hand, but is able to drive his GT's and work hydraulic levers with that hand.  The brothers plan to come to my plow days in April, and I very much look forward to seeing them both again, and especially David after all that has happened to him.  David was concerned when I had all my problems, then right about the time I had cervical surgery, he went down with the stroke.  Lets keep him in our prayers!

• KennyP, Cvans and shorty have said thanks

#59 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Lets keep him in our prayers!

Will do and thank you for the update!

• olcowhand said thank you