• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 10:12 PM

I picked this little gem up today.

DSCN1879.jpg

It's a 1968 Wheel Horse Commando 6. Model # 1-4631, Ser. # 502093. All the information that I can find says that they only made these in 1968. Does anyone know this to be a fact? It's a geared transmission, not a hydro model.

DSCN1884.jpg

It has the wrong engine on it, it should be a Tecumseh HH60. I couldn't get it to run, but I didn't have a lot of time to sort it out either. (anyone know where an HH60-105047B might be)

DSCN1881.jpg

As near as I can tell, It has all the right sheet metal. The hood seems to be in really good shape except for a small dent in the face of the grille. It doesn't fit right because of the engine though. The nose badge is missing too. The belt guard has a small bend in the lip, but I think I can straighten that easily enough.

DSCN1888.jpg

As you can see, all the markings from the dash are gone. Good thing it's not that complicated LOL!

DSCN1891.jpg

The deck seems to be in great shape (judging from the top side). There is however one spot where it's rusted trough. I haven't been under it yet to see what it looks like there though. The gearboxes don't seem to have very much slop in them.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1880.jpg
  • DSCN1883.jpg
  • DSCN1890.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 10:39 PM

Looking good! Sounds like you got another great deal.

Just a thought, if you side-car this off your Zero Turn, maybe you'll get your lawn done 6 minutes faster.

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 10:43 PM

Looks like that will be a fun project. Keep us posted, OK?

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 10:48 PM

You are correct on this only being made one year. In 1967, the 607/657 was the same model. 1968 WH went to the name system for their models. 1969, WH dropped the 6hp Commando, only offering the 7 or 8 hp Commando models.
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 10:56 PM

There is a guy on ebay right now that has an HH60 for sale, needs a rod. Also a rebuild kit on there with rod, piston and all gaskets for 74.99.
Engine-
TROY BILT TILLER TECUMSEH 6HP ENGINE HH60 - eBay (item 120687171840 end time Feb-26-11 07:13:23 PST)
Rebuild kit-
6HP Engine Rebuild Kit fits TECUMSEH HH60 and VH60 - eBay (item 120678204837 end time Feb-28-11 19:09:26 PST)
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Looks like a good little project Steve.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:02 PM

There is a guy on ebay right now that has an HH60 for sale, needs a rod...

Thanks Brian. I put the engine on my watch list:smilewink:! I also sent the seller a message asking if the tin-work, the carb, and the air cleaner come with it.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:17 PM

Looks good,you'll have fun re-doing that one.

#9 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:14 PM

The tractor was only made one year, so as far as numbers go it somewhat rare.

Here's the facts (original spec. as built by WH):
Model Number: 1-4631
Serial #: None - None
Model Year: 1968

Product Name: Commando 6 Tractor
Product Brand: Wheel Horse
Product Type: Riding Products
Product Series: Garden Tractor, Pre '74

Swath: Deck Optional
Discharge: Deck Optional

Engine/Motor Manufacturer: Tecumseh
Engine/Motor Model #: HH60-105047B
Engine/Motor Type: 4 Cycle
Engine/Motor Size#: 6 hp
Engine Starter Electric

Transmission Manufacturer: Wheel Horse
Transmission Model #: 5053
Transmission Speed: 3-Speed
Transmission Type: Gear

Here's the Owners/Integrated Parts List Manual:
http://www.mywheelho...1-4631_314A.pdf
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Mike, It's weird how WH did their tractors, but Like 1 of the tractors I have, Auto14 was only produced under that model number for one year. It's the same tractor as the 72Bronco14 and the C-141 that came later. I also have a 1267 thats identical to my 1969 Raider12. Wheel Horse wanted to make sure each model and each year had it's own numbers, even though WH didn,t change things fom year to year, every year. I hope this makes sense to you.

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Brian. I put the engine on my watch list:smilewink:! I also sent the seller a message asking if the tin-work, the carb, and the air cleaner come with it.

Just an update. The guy who had the engine replied. It's gone, so I'm back to square one. Thanks for looking out for me Brian.

Mike, thanks for the information and the link to the manual. Are there any actual production numbers for that model?

#12 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 10:49 PM

... even though WH didn't change things from year to year, every year. ...

Sometimes the differences are very subtle, but they are there. More times than not a simple engine change on an otherwise identical tractor would cause a model number change. Also, a change in parts availability mid-year caused numerous model number changes, as well as Owners/Parts Manual changes, for the same model number. Telling the difference is based on the serial number because of seemingly small part changes in mid-production. One has to be very careful making assumptions on this aspect, as wheel Horse didn't remain consistent on a long term basis with anything they produced over the years. Think Ford Parts, especially engines!

Oh, and by the way, a few facts about your "identical" 1267 and Raider 12. Your 1267 had a 5060 transmission, and the 69 Raider 12 had a 5071 transmission. Subtle difference, but different none the less. Also, both engines are the K301, except each had their own spec number. Specification 4712B for the 1267, and 47147C for the Raider 12. Again, small but significant when you try to buy certain parts.

Now take my Commando 8 and CG's Commando 6. Nearly identical tractor, produced the same year under two different model numbers, except the engines were different. His originally had a 6hp Tecumseh, mine an 8hp Kohler. there were also some small differences in front tires, and other minute items, otherwise they are the same tractor with different decals pasted on the sides.

@CaseGuy, no production run numbers available that I am aware of. I'll take a look around though. Also, here's a Techy service manuals which may come in handy when attempting to get that engine running:
http://www.mywheelho.../H60_691141.pdf
http://www.mywheelho...vice-Manual.pdf
http://www.mywheelho...ecumseh_BSI.pdf

Edited by MikesRJ, February 21, 2011 - 11:19 PM.

• caseguy said thank you

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks again Mike! I forgot to mention in my original post that it came with the slot hitch and the axle hitch. I haven't gotten a chance to tear into it much, but the axle hitch is either different than the later ones, though similar, or it is installed sideways? The bolts are on the top and the bottom and the latching mechanism is in front of the axle. Is that how it's supposed to be? Any wisdom on this issue Brian or Mike? I have one other axle hitch for my 312-8 or my 314-8, but it isn't installed. I made a pseudo hitch to mount my snow plow on my 314-8, but I put the part that would be the latch under the axle. I'll have to take pics of the set-up on the Commando as well as the homemade one on the 314-8.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Take a picture, and both Mike and I will look at to see what you have got..
  • caseguy said thank you

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:33 PM

OK, Here it goes...We'll start with the Commando 6 stuff...

This first pic is of the slot hitch...I dont have any questions about it...yet LOL!

DSCN1892.jpg

The first pic is the right side of the axle hitch from the rear of the tractor. The second pic is of the left side of the axle hitch from the front. I was just wondering if anyone knows what the "bracket" sticking up on the top of the left side of the axle hitch is for? (It is best seen in the first pic at the top of the page) It looks like a couple of pieces of flat stock with opposing holes drilled in them...like for a large pin to go through.

DSCN1895.jpg

After looking at the arrangement of this axle hitch, I believe that it is made of similar components as the newer style, but it is put together differently and I also believe that it is mounted correctly.

These are some pics of the homemade one that I built for the 314-8. All are of the right side and from the rear.

DSCN1897.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1893.jpg
  • DSCN1896.jpg
  • DSCN1898.jpg

Edited by caseguy, February 22, 2011 - 10:42 PM.