Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Can Someone Please Help Me Understand This?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Ok, first off, I know some on here may be into this (and maybe you are the ones that can help me understand) and some joke about it from time to time.  I'm not posting this to rip on anyone.  I really want to understand the infatuation with zombies these days.  For the past few years I've been hearing zombie this or zombie that and it hasn't been just from kids, but adults as well.  What sparked this is I just saw a story on the news yesterday that a guy is offering a class on how to survive a zombie apocalypse.  For just $179 for the day, you too can learn how to survive something that is not real.  My hat is off to the guy really.  I just saw a map on the internet that shows you were to go and where not to go when the zombie apocalypse comes.  Is this just something fun that is getting out of hand or do people actually buy into this?  Seems to me that adults would have better things to think about but I guess I'm old fashioned.  I can just picture my dad back in the day saying "I don't have time for stuff like that, I have bills to pay!"  Am I out of touch?  Same goes for vampires.  Seems like kid stuff has crept into the "adult" world.  Don't get me wrong, if it's all in fun then it's cool but there just seems to be a whole lot of productive time spent on this stuff.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Some it seems really do fear what they call the zombie apocalypse..they are serious about it,some have fully stocked bunkers and all that..seems the government is going to turn folks into the living dead for some reason from what I understand...everyday I am more blown away by what folks are willing to believe and spend time and money on..think its time I buy stock in tinfoil.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:45 AM

I have to admit I'm clueless as well..  People's infatuation with the UN-dead is questionable to say the least in my opinion.  There are many things in today's culture that would never have even been acceptable in my youth..  Life's tough enough..  To think you may come back as a zombie is unflattering.  Goth has been in our history for quite some time and it has become more mainstream of late.  It seems that our youth wants something different to be but the fact that so many of them subscribe to it makes them part of the crowd..  I don't get that either.  

See this article that raises the same query you do HERE 

Another interesting twist on reality:   HERE

So other than becoming a (hopefully) passing fad may it soon go the way of Disco dancing!

• HDWildBill and David Brown have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:46 AM

For some folk, it seems that Zombie Apocolypse is kinda a generic term for the poo hitting the air handler.
Meltdown of society stuff... not out of the realm of possibility IMHO.
I'm sure some folks are serious and really think there will be a day of the living dead,, but then if it weren't for those people, there wouldn't be a comic con.
  • KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:47 AM

At one time it was Witches..now its zombies...LOL

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have enough trouble with reality and real problems,I stay away from the what ifs and could be's.

• David Brown, WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:00 AM

some folks are serious and really think there will be a day of the living dead,,

I've had those days!!

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:00 AM

I love the zombies, post apocalyptic movies and books!

I love AMC's The Walking Dead.  Any movie with zombies in it, or end of the world, Mad Max, Water World, The Postman, ect ect.  I love it. 

I've read probably 100s of books on those subjects. 

Can't explain why I enjoy those types of stories.

Now I am not gonna pay a guy 179 dollars a day for classes.  And I am not going to go dress up as a zombie in a group, I am not going to sit down and prepare for a "zombie apocalypse"  I do have some bags, and supplies ready for a SHTF situation.  Not near enough supplies.

Any you guys can't say zombies and stuff is new.  Those movies have been popular for many years.   http://en.wikipedia....of_zombie_films

Edited by toomanytoys84, October 22, 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:28 AM

I love the zombies, post apocalyptic movies and books!

I love AMC's The Walking Dead.  Any movie with zombies in it, or end of the world, Mad Max, Water World, The Postman, ect ect.  I love it. 

I've read probably 100s of books on those subjects. 

Can't explain why I enjoy those types of stories.

Now I am not gonna pay a guy 179 dollars a day for classes.  And I am not going to go dress up as a zombie in a group, I am not going to sit down and prepare for a "zombie apocalypse"  I do have some bags, and supplies ready for a SHTF situation.  Not near enough supplies.

Any you guys can't say zombies and stuff is new.  Those movies have been popular for many years.   http://en.wikipedia....of_zombie_films

That's cool if that's what you like.  I've watched a few myself for entertainment.  The original Night of the Living Dead (1968) was actually filmed about 20 miles from my house.  It can be very entertaining but I think some folks are just taking it to extremes these days because they need something in their lives I guess.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:29 AM

For some folk, it seems that Zombie Apocolypse is kinda a generic term for the poo hitting the air handler.
Meltdown of society stuff... not out of the realm of possibility IMHO.
I'm sure some folks are serious and really think there will be a day of the living dead,, but then if it weren't for those people, there wouldn't be a comic con.

I never looked at it that way.  That kind of makes me see thins whole thing in a whole new light.  Thanks.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:49 AM

I was a zombie at 3am trying to get spark out of the coil on my Briggs ZZ. That's all I know about zombies, heh!
  • KennyP, David Brown, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 11:07 AM

That's cool if that's what you like.  I've watched a few myself for entertainment.  The original Night of the Living Dead (1968) was actually filmed about 20 miles from my house.  It can be very entertaining but I think some folks are just taking it to extremes these days because they need something in their lives I guess.

:(     So that was YOUR MIL in that movie!!   :oh_shucks:

• KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#13 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 11:24 AM

My look on the whole deal is nothing but a marketing scam. A good share of the USA population are kind of clueless. They will buy into any scam that hits the internet. You know if it's on the internet it's got to be real. LOL Wind back to 1999 remember when the clock turns to 2000 the world was gonna shut down because computers were going to go brain dead and not know what day it was. Now lets shoot to Dec 21st 2012 the mayan calander says the earth is gonna come to and end. There were actually shows on what people were doing and spending to be the last survivors on the planet earth. And now it's zombies. People need to get a life.

• MH81, David Brown, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 11:43 AM

:( So that was YOUR MIL in that movie!! :oh_shucks:

I can neither confirm nor deny.

Edited by David Brown, October 22, 2014 - 12:07 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Add to the list vampires and were wolves! The whole zombie thing began with Jamaican voodoo sorcerers putting a hex on someone.

I've seen GTs that were living dead.

• Bill56 said thank you