3 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:30 PM

The original Electrak chargers were continuous saturation windings that tried to give constant voltage. Battery peak overheating occured. This coupled with trying to mow the lawn fast to save time really overheated the batts on a hot spring day. And with the water being topped off to top of chamber the common result was the rusted (etched) sides of batt compartments. Most of the original owners gave up after the first set of batts. And most often left the batts in them--at times you could not get rid of them!

30 plus yrs later clean up the mess put in new batts -I use sealed - and deal with the varying tire condition. But do not use the original charger. Charge 12 volt at a time. The motors are all sealed and are almost perfect time capsules until they burn out. A careful cleaning and reassembly helps. Sharp blades on any mower helps. The original charger style was consideredto be lightning or surge resistent but better plug-in protection is easy to come by now. Being aware of what the batts are subjected to is what the current owners strive for.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#2 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Excellent post Sparky. A good smart charger and charging 12v at a time also means you don't have to do an equalization charge on the whole bank. You are right that most people are in too big a hurry, and that added to the fact that very little homework is done on the proper charging methods. I know guys that only get one or two seasons out of their batteries in golf carts, simply because they are burning them up with old chargers.

Regards. George

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Sparky, very good advice. The batteries are very expensive to change out. I agree with the fact everyone wants to get it done very quickly and do not stop and think.
What charger do you use?

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Actually I use communication transformers that top out about 43 volts but are limited to a bout 20 amps. And I do monitor equalization on regular basis. My source of used transformers are not available to everybody.