15 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I did a little trading with a couple of buddies a few days ago ( you know,I'll trade you my junk for yours lol). I made a little 170 mile round trip visited a few tractor buddies and brought home a couple of tractors in the process. This Suburban 12 was well taken care of I'm told up until a year or so ago when it was finally left outside to sit and they decided to move it with a loader once,bending the seat completely double and destroying the 3 point linkage. It is also full of mice and lots of mice urine. I plan to get the tin off the engine and get it cleaned out shortly along with a good power washing of the tractor. Next I have tofind another ignition switch or get this one freed up. It is rusted up tight. I did get the deck with it and picked up another Suburban deck at another stop. Here is a few pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 68 sears suburban 12.jpg 2.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 2.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 5.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 4.jpg
  • Sears Suburban 12.jpg 3.jpg

• Gtractor, MH81, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Nice find! Too bad it was handled a little rough, but looks like the dash, grill and hood are fine. That's a plus. Thank you for sharing the photos.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for giving it a better home than its seen recently
Those three points can often be saved with a little TLC. How bad is it?

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Bill and MH. MH, the arms and old style frame are fine. It's just the lift linkage to one arm and the top link. Both I replace pretty easy with non OEM stuff.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 21, 2014 - 08:06 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:28 PM

That's a good find! There isn't much to the wiring on these, but be sure to go over each wire and check for cracks and exposed wire. Clean all of the connections, and you should be able to find a new ignition switch easily. I've gone over a few of these Suburbans and I always find a bad wire somewhere. Good luck!

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:34 PM

I agree Classic,I have done a lot of old GT's and wiring seems to always be an issue including on several old Sears that I have had. But really isn't that the case with anything old that we drag in with an engine and wiring. Shoot even my not old enough to be vintage work truck GMC has decided that we don't need taillights...I'm sure I could run to NAPA and get a switch and I may have to but I would like to free this one up mainly to keep the original oblong key.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 21, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• classic said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,449 Thanks
  • 1,603 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:56 PM

You may be able to use the old key in one of the new switches. I'm pretty sure I did that last year. I'll check and see what my 69 Suburban 12 has for an ignition switch and get back to you since I know I replaced it. Chevy trucks and taillight wiring...been there, LOL!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Be CERTAIN you have the right switch or you will junk the ignition system and end up with another $150 at least in parts.

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Nice rescue. Is it my eyes or does your seat gradually unfolds itself in every pic, what did you do. :D

Edited by Sawdust, October 21, 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:53 PM

I know that you are right MH but a great reminder. Sawdust,it was completed folded over. I unfolded it to at least usable but I think I will need another one eventually.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Nice rescue. Is it my eyes or does your seat gradually unfolds itself in every pic, what did you do. :D

It's not unfolding, it's blossoming... :rolling:
  • rustyoldjunk, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Good save on the 'Burban! Looks to be in fair shape other than the PO inflicted damage. Good luck with it.

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi looks like its in fair shape you will no doubt get it going. What happened it it fall off the loader and hit on its butt? Those pan seats are available I've got at least 2 on the shelf as I've switch mine over to a padded pan seat as its soooo much warmer in Jan when out blowing snow.

Edited by MNGB, October 22, 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 26, 2014 - 11:28 PM

It's a runner ! I took the ignition out where I could get to it,disconnected the kill wire and used my booster box to start it. I was told something was wrong with the transaxle when I got it also and I found that problem too. This thing had been attacked really bad by mice even wires along the frame underneath were chewed bare in several spots and even after a good pressure washing it still stunk of urine. So I flipped it on it's side and pressure washed the bottom side,twice ! then attended to the trans problem. It was the drive belt,it was off the trans pulley on top and wedged hard between the pulley and the guard. While I had it turned up I greased the steering gear assembly. Now granted this isn't the easier on the tractor but after 15 years of messing with these old tractors sometimes unusual fixes work best. Laying under this tractor and trying to do all this would have taken two or three times as long and my back,shoulders and hips would be sorer and stiffer tonight. Anyway,now I need to clean the fuel system and get a ignition switch and it should be a "jump on" runner. There are a few little things like sliding one hub back in a little,flipping the rear wheels out,getting the three point repaired to do but once it's running and driving,I will feel better about doing the little things. I also have a set of 8.50 ag tires that I will most likely throw on.

Attached Thumbnails

• sears suburban 12 3.jpg
  • sears Surban 12.jpg 2.jpg
  • sears suburban 12 4.jpg
  • sears suburban 12 5.jpg

• TAHOE, MountainMichael and MNGB have said thanks

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:06 AM

Hi looks like up got it cleaned up good and its running that's always a good feeling, yea I know what your saying about saving on the ole body and laying on the grouind looking up.