• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rob_deere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62785
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi GT!

First time posting here, I've searched around the forum and found some posts related to a JD212 with no spark, but wanted to get some input/see if anyone had specific experience with this sequence of events.

So recently got an 84 212 with Kohler K301AQS, was my pep's tractor.  It's been in a barn for the last 3+ years and has a bit of frame rust but nothing substantial, and it didn't run when I got it (no spark).  After a bit of a full restore (new points, condenser, coil, plug, plug wire, battery, cleaned carb, new fuel line & filter) I found that the wire to the points was shorting out against the inside of the points cover.  Wrapped it up good with electrical tape and boom, she runs like a champ.  So I get a good 2 weeks of use out of her then she starts slipping the vbelt to the trans, find out the idler pulley arm pivot bolt is snapped off in the trans causing it to come loose and skew the pulley (hence why belt falls off).  Tore her down fixed the problem, painted the trans up cleaned brakes etc.  

After reassembly, she started right up, but with the hood open I notice the a bolt was gone from the voltage regulator and the other loose so it's jiggly around sparking like crazy.  Engine sounds like as the regulator gets more loose, it's firing more sporadically.  Does this for about 10 minutes or so then cuts out and won't start up again, find out there's no spark.

Could the voltage regulator being loose and sparking shorted something out?  Broke the circuit breaker?  Fried the points wire?  Coil?  Condenser?

Any input would be appreciated,  I've tried disconnecting the wires in certain sequences on the regulator to no avail...stumped.

Thanks - Rob

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Pretty sure someone in the group can help you,Welcome to the group BTW!!!

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. There should not be any sparks coming around the regulator. The regulator should be mounted on rubber isolators to keep it insulated from the tractor(not grounded). Chances are that the sparks were something from the regulator hitting the tractor and shorting out. Get a bolt and snug them all up. Use an ohm meter to make sure that the regulator is not grounded(when the wires are disconnected). The main Kohler shop manual in our Manuals Section should be able to help you troubleshoot the rest of the problems. Good Luck, Rick

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:06 AM

I may be wrong on this but I think that the stock rectangular regulators on those kohlers are attached directly to the engine case and need to make a good connection to work properly. I've never seen a rubber isolator on the K321 and KT17s I have on my JD tractors. The rectifier to engine chassis contact makes the connection back to the battery - terminal to complete the circuit for the regulator to work. The other 3 terminals on the regulator are the AC from the alternator coil and the output charge current wire to the battery. The regulator needs a reference point to be able to measure the battery voltage and adjust the charge current. It gets that through the chassis connection. Fasten that regulator securely and try it. Here is the diagram from the Kohler manual. It shows the ground symbol on the case of the regulator indicating that it should have an electrical connection back to the battery - terminal through the chassis.

Attached File  Alt 1.doc   323.5KB   43 downloads

#5 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 07:28 AM

The voltage reg on my 120 with the k301 mounts directly to the chassis of the tractor.  It's been years since I have worked on a 212 and don't remember the location of the voltage reg.  Do you have any pics?