• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 06:37 PM

First time taking mower deck off and attaching the tiller. 127 cub. There's an angle drive gear box that bolts on the back of the tractor. I suppose a long belt goes under the tractor to it? How does the belt come around the corner up to the engine? I wonder if there's missing parts. Or do I use the mule drive assembly that I removed with the mower? Any advice would be great. Not too familiar with Cubs.

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not sure about a cub, but I think a Massey ferguson 14/16 uses the mower mule drive to go up to the engine. Long belt from engine to tiller. About 100" or so, I think, on the Massey. Noel
  • breimer said thank you

#3 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 09:23 PM

You use the nose piece with the 2 pulleys of the mower mule drive to run the belt for the tiller.  There should be 2 of the piece marked as #5 in the picture to run the tiller.  Most of the mowers had 1 and a spring for the tension.  That will work but having 2 of #5 is better as you can tighten the belt up more.  The belt number is 487045R2 which is a 3/8x140.3 inch belt.  If the right angle box isn't on the tractor already it will need longer bolts to attach it to the read end.  I believe the bolts are 3/8-16 by 1 inch long.  I'd try to get grade 8 bolts.  You need to be careful putting longer bolts in because they go into blind holes.  If the new bolts are too long they will bottom out and not be tight or there is a chance they can break the casting.  Hope this helps.             Stewart

127 tiller mule.JPG

• breimer said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 10:55 PM

There is also suppose to be 2 (if I remember correctly) belt guides under the tractor about half way between the mule drive and the gearbox. They are not absolutely necessary but can help keep the belt from whipping. 

• breimer said thank you

#5 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:40 AM

Thanks. That clears it up a lot for me. Yeah mine has the spring tensioning only one of the mile drive pulleys. Probably don't have the guides for underneath but I'm gonna try it. Hopefully get at it tonight.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Probably don't have the guides for underneath but I'm gonna try it. Hopefully get at it tonight.

I've been running mine that way for years. Wouldn't know about the guides if I hadn't seen them on the parts breakdown.

• breimer said thank you

#7 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I think I have it figured out. Also watched a youtube video showing how to mount the tiller. I realize though that I am missing the outer tines extensions. The tiller has extensions on both sides however someone has removed the outer tines. I've got an old simplicity tiller that could be a donor but those tines are different. Wouldnt fit without some welding/modification. Wonder if I could find some used tines somewhere. Otherwise the tiller is narrower than the tractor. I don't like that. Previous owner never used the tiller attachment and says he can't find the missing tines either.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:39 AM

If it were me, I would run it narrow for now and try to find a set of tines. The less modification now, often the better later.
  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#9 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Ok. Finally took the time to get the tiller mounted on my 127. My rear short belt for the tiller runs quite crooked. The tiller seems loose and jiggles around quite a bit but surprisingly it didn't throw the belt. I tilled my brothers entire garden. Doesn't seem to till very deep. If I adjust the lift chain mechanism, it won't lift high enough. Seems to be not enough range. The hydraulic lift cylinder has lots of range but the rear lift mechanism has doesnt. Any body had this before? Not sure if this thing is just worn out. The lift system doesn't look worn tho.