johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm down to just 18 more years until I can retire at 65. :dancingbanana: 

But then again, if the Social Security isn't available or is exhausted by then, I'll more than likely have to wait until the age of 72 to retire, so chalk on another 7 years. Hmmm, another 25 years to work until retirement? That is almost half of my current age. My dream is to open a small Mom & Pop antique tractor dealership/Homemade Ice Cream parlor after retirement. I just pray and hope that my body and mind will still be in shape to fulfill that dream by then, as my back is already screaming at me each and every morning, just getting up out of bed.

After reading the obituaries in the local paper, most people around here are dying at the average age of 80. If this holds true, and I have to wait until the age of 72 to retire, it doesn't seem like a long enough time to fulfill my dream. Especially after working so hard for all of those years, roughly 54 years, fulfilling someone else dreams. Something just doesn't seem fair.  :(  I'm not worried however, as I've been told many times throughout my life, that only the good die young. Looks like I'll have a nice long life span. :smilewink:  :angel:  

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#32 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I just daydream of retirement, though it may never

I'm sure the 'girls' would love to retire too if it weren't for the consequences.

being retired too

I can do what I want or need to do with very little pressure

the only thing is - I have to do what the WIFE want done or me to do

Failing hearing can help that to a great degree.

I'm down to just 18 more years until I can retire at 65. :dancingbanana:

But then again, if the Social Security isn't available or is exhausted by then, I'll more than likely have to wait until the age of 72 to retire, so chalk on another 7 years. Hmmm, another 25 years to work until retirement? That is almost half of my current age. My dream is to open a small Mom & Pop antique tractor dealership/Homemade Ice Cream parlor after retirement. I just pray and hope that my body and mind will still be in shape to fulfill that dream by then, as my back is already screaming at me each and every morning, just getting up out of bed.

After reading the obituaries in the local paper, most people around here are dying at the average age of 80. If this holds true, and I have to wait until the age of 72 to retire, it doesn't seem like a long enough time to fulfill my dream. Especially after working so hard for all of those years, roughly 54 years, fulfilling someone else dreams. Something just doesn't seem fair.  :(  I'm not worried however, as I've been told many times throughout my life, that only the good die young. Looks like I'll have a nice long life span. :smilewink:  :angel:  

If you spend this much time worrying about a future that is unsure and uncertain, you'll ruin what ever time you have with negativity. Live for today!

• GTTinkerer, hamman, js5020 and 3 others have said thanks

#33 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Man it didn't take long for this tread to spark interest. :rolling:

It will soon be 5 years since I retired and I'm really not sorry I did.  In fact if I had not retired I would never had found this site and enjoyed having all you friends.  I would still be writing apps and would not have started working on small engines.  Although Hamman is right, I do find my self staying up later and sleeping later but after all those years getting up at 4 AM it feels good to sleep in.  I also like being able to do what I want when I want.

• Alc, hamman, lyall and 5 others have said thanks

#34 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 10:07 AM

I retired at 55 12 yrs ago and have really enjoyed doing the things that need to be done and things I want to do within financial reason. I still get up fairly early anywhere from 5 to 7 AM and usually asleep by 10 PM. Go for coffee twice a day and usually have projects to work on thru the day and taking frequent breaks to watch the news and get on the web. I have 3 small engines to overhaul this winter, hopefully just rings, rod and piston. I built and installed a new muffler for the onan on the welder and on starting it heard it knocking so that makes #4 to go thru. It was run w/ gas in the oil prior to my buying it so I hope it's only the rods and the crank isn't hurt. I'll see when I tear it down. If the welder engine can be saved w/o a ton of $$ I have an old boat tlr I plan to cut up and build a small tlr for the welder so I don't have to load and unload it in the 5x8 tlr.

What you do in retirement is up to the individual. I prefer to keep busy now because the day will arrive when I can't. I watched too many men I worked with retire and go home to do nothing and most didn't last long. I personally think staying physically active is good for the body and the brain.

Mike                             

• Alc, GTTinkerer, hamman and 7 others have said thanks

#35 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think my retirement will start just after the Coroner signs the death certificate. 40 hrs a weeks would be kinda like retirement I guess.

I joke with people saying I get to retire when the hearse picks me up at the work site. Wonder how much truth there is to it?

My wife keeps telling me she is retiring as soon as she is eligible through her work plan which computes to about 12-13 yrs ( govnmt threw a wrench into the PERS for govmnt employees so pushed it back). I told her as long as we have a house payment, she keeps working.

• hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#36 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Being a couch potato is not mandatory. It's your choice and not the one I made. Retired 6 years ago at 57 and still haven't got time for the couch. Don't have a bucket list, more like a barrel list.  :smilewink:

I understand the "haven't got time for the couch" part. I have been busy ever since I retired. Sometimes when my brother stops in after he gets off work I have to ask him what day it is. :D . He tends to adjust his glasses with one finger when I ask that. :bigrofl:

• GTTinkerer, hamman, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#37 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I joke with people saying I get to retire when the hearse picks me up at the work site. Wonder how much truth there is to it?

Really?!! Can you still work when you wear Depends because you have chronic incontinence?

• hamman, Traill95, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#38 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 02:52 PM

More than a few of the retirees from around my corner of the world pass on shortly after acquiring their retirements..  Retiring permanently is no fun I'm sure!!   I agree with Rich-  Carpe Diem!

• hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#39 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Man it didn't take long for this tread to spark interest. :rolling:

It will soon be 5 years since I retired and I'm really not sorry I did.  In fact if I had not retired I would never had found this site and enjoyed having all you friends.  I would still be writing apps and would not have started working on small engines.  Although Hamman is right, I do find my self staying up later and sleeping later but after all those years getting up at 4 AM it feels good to sleep in.  I also like being able to do what I want when I want.

I am a little over 3 years since I retired (again) at 62.  I go to bed at 11 only to wake up around 2 AM and get on the computer for a couple of hours then back to bed until 6. or so. 

As far as your being able to do what you want when you want; you must be single!

• hamman, HDWildBill, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#40 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I find that most folks who are miserable and die soon after retirement have no outside interests. No hobbies, nothing! I have too many things to do to be bored. Right now, I'm making fishing lures and walking sticks and reading a book, when my wife isn't thinking up stuff.

Oh! Did I mention going on the computer? Lots of people my age don't use the computer, for some reason.

Edited by LilysDad, October 21, 2014 - 06:01 PM.

• grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#41 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:06 PM

I know first hand..Life is short..enjoy what you do..what ever it is.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#42 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:47 PM

I can always find something to do, if I want to!   :D

I'm in the habit of hitting the sack around 10 pm, getting up around 6 am, never was very good at staying in bed once I wake up!  ~~  Lowell

• hamman, Traill95, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#43 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:01 PM

I just pray and hope that my body and mind will still be in shape to fulfill that dream

You forgot about some majorly cool items in your garage attic recently. 18 more years? I'm hoping you remember you have a garage in 18 years.

:bigrofl:  :watch_over_fence:

• hamman, Traill95, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#44 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Keeping busy is the key to surviving retirement from what I've seen, and read here.

I'm presently working on getting myself retired, and cant wait for the next 54 years. I've got so

many things I want to do, that I may never let myself expire.

• olcowhand, hamman and Traill95 have said thanks

#45 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:50 PM

You forgot about some majorly cool items in your garage attic recently. 18 more years? I'm hoping you remember you have a garage in 18 years.

:bigrofl:  :watch_over_fence:

Forgetting things is the best part!!!just ask my wife Jan..errr I mean..Ummm...whats her name,

• Coventry Plumber said thank you