• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_James66_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 05, 2010 - 12:02 AM

Never seen one before so is it real or fake

Edited by James66, July 13, 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#2 tweidman OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 01:03 AM

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 05:32 AM

They are very real.But they are a " cheaply" built cub cadet having not many features of a "regular" cub cadet .And they have a vertical shaft engine.The only thing that made them "special" was the paint and graphics.

Edited by mjodrey, March 05, 2010 - 05:42 AM.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 05, 2010 - 10:25 AM

I can believe it is real and I can see that it looks like it was cheaply built. It's a shame too because with it being a rare item if it were built like all the other cub cadets of the era then it could be worth much more.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Yes is is real. This lawn tractor was a model 76 and for the bicentennial they dressed it up. It was a little 7 horse power mower. Not built as heavy as the regular cub cadet line but it still was a pretty stout little rig. We had one on our farm and it mowed 3 large yards all summer for years without much trouble. The mower deck spindles were about the only thing that needed attention. The spindles had a threaded top part that the drive pulley was threaded onto and when you shut off the deck it the momentum of the blades screwed the pullies down and tightened up a brake assembly to stop the deck. Kind of a pain to work on.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for the info Mike. It would definitely be a conversational piece to have and different from everything else.

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 621 Thanks
  • 1,213 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:44 AM

Yep...real......They were a painted up version of the Cadet 80....Not a bad mower, International did build these when they started to get into the "cheapo" mower market, just before they sold the garden tractor business.......

#8 Rick OFFLINE  

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 11:25 AM

That is the real thing.Kinda cheap Looking.Had a 76 model cub but never did anything with it.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yes, it is real. As I understand it, the Spirit tractor was a promotional stunt by IH to try and get more traffic into dealer showrooms so these were offered to all the dealers and the public could buy one if they wanted to. They weren't manufactured in huge quantities with this paint scheme because there was no way to pre-judge the public's reaction to ownership of one. Because they weren't the best of the best that IH had to offer in the day, there's a better than even chance that many of the original Spirits ended up in the scrap yard and are gone forever. I watched this one on e-Bay and was surprised when it failed to find a new home.

In 1976, a local Case dealer in Racine (home town of J. I. Case) took somewhere between six and ten Case 446's (best model at the time) and did them up as Spirit of 76 tractors for the 4th of July parade. Those were sold off and only 3 proven originals are known to exist today. One of them belongs to a friend of mine in PA and he's added a FEL to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1976 Case 446 Spir&.jpg