14 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Since I got a Squire 10 a couple weeks ago I have been looking for parts to repair it. Well Friday night I was browsing CL and a ad popped up for a B1 with a tiller. I went and picked up the tractor last night.

The tractor is in fair shape for it's age but it has been well used in it's life. There is a lot of play in the steering which makes it a little tricky to steer lol. The original engine has been replaced with a Briggs model 19 that looks like it came out of a Simplicity. It runs decent but needs a good carb cleaning/tune up and new rings since there is a lot of blow by.

I'm not sure what I will do with this one yet. I don't really have the space to store or desire to keep another tractor but I also don't really want to part out a decent tractor. On the other hand this has parts on it that will help my MW Squire 10 come back  to life. What do you guys think I should do?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02029.JPG
  • DSC02030.JPG
  • DSC02031.JPG
  • DSC02032.JPG
  • DSC02033.JPG
  • DSC02034.JPG
  • DSC02035.JPG
  • DSC02038.JPG
  • DSC02040.JPG
  • DSC02041.JPG

• Alc, hamman, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:45 PM

I just couldn't part that out...I would fix the engine and seat and use it just like it is..she looks happy..a ratrod so to speak..

• farmerall said thank you

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Nice looking seat. :bigrofl: 

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:57 PM

you got it for parts so use it for parts!! you cannot save them all and the parts will help to save the one you have already :thumbs:.  and if you decide to part it out I would be interested in the rear rims :D

• farmerall, superaben and HANKG have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'd try to see if someone is willing to buy it and allow you to have the coin to find a more deserving wreck to scavenge.  That is just my opinion, though.

you got it for parts so use it for parts!! you cannot save them all and the parts will help to save the one you have already :thumbs:.  and if you decide to part it out I would be interested in the rear rims :D

Now that is a selfless, humble, and generous piece of advice.  :poke: :rolling: :rolling:

Ben W.

• farmerall and Rock farmer have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 05:33 AM

It would be nice to have a place for all these tractors we tend to come across , good luck

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 06:25 AM

B-1's are popular, and tough to find complete, in any shape it seems.  That being said, you could look at it two ways....you have a nice candidate for a refurb, or you have parts someone else id needing for theirs.  A tractor's service life can go on by resurrecting other machines.  Nothing wrong with that.  What parts does the MW need?

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,535 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 06:44 AM

That B1 is in alot better shape than mine and you've got a tiller to boot. I've also got a 725 with rod rap and a 700 with a cracked and spliced frame. The 700 is a parts machine for fixing the others. I think your B1 is too good to cannabalize.

Have you every driven a good condition early Simplicity? I think that they are the most fun to drive of all the tractors that I have. Fix the carb and the steering before you make any decisions. One way to tighten up a bunch of the play in the steering is to bore out and replace the tie rod bolts. I find that the key in the gear at the end of the steering wheel shaft wears quite abit too. Good Luck, Rick 

• Talntedmrgreen, farmerall and Auburn David have said thanks

#9 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 07:40 AM

If you want to drop it off at my house I would be happy to give it a nice warm, dry home inside my garage! :D  Those B1's are getting hard enough to find so personally I wouldn't part it out simply because it is a complete, running tractor.

• farmerall, boyscout862 and Auburn David have said thanks

#10 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 10:33 AM

B-1's are popular, and tough to find complete, in any shape it seems.  That being said, you could look at it two ways....you have a nice candidate for a refurb, or you have parts someone else id needing for theirs.  A tractor's service life can go on by resurrecting other machines.  Nothing wrong with that.  What parts does the MW need?

The MW needs a lot lol. It's needs an engine which I already have from a B10 parts tractor. It's also needs all of the electrical components which I would use from this if I part it and then I would build my own harness. There are many other small parts that the MW needs but this tractor doesn't have. I mainly bought the B1 for the tiller and to possibly use for parts.

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Have you every driven a good condition early Simplicity? I think that they are the most fun to drive of all the tractors that I have. 

I agree!  I love driving them...short wheelbase, tight turning, light on their feet.  Very good tractors...a ball in the garden or for mowing.  I have never tilled with my B-1 or 700's, but have put a lot of time on the cultivator with my old Wonderboy.  The B-1 is now my forklift tractor, and I can't imagine using a larger Sovereign inside my shop, with their wider tires, longer wheelbase and tougher steering ratio.  I keep that B-1 aired up, and it handles a pile of weight very well.

• farmerall and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 oaktown1987 OFFLINE  

oaktown1987
  • Member No: 54613
  • 11 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Save it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 03:42 PM

Allis!! Save it. Surely someone has the parts you will need for the other one

#14 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Surely someone has the parts you will need for the other one

True, there are always parts somewhere else. As all we know this old gt's are worth more in parts than they are whole. I mainly bought this tractor for the tiller setup and got a great deal on the whole set up compared to  what I would have paid if I pieced the package together. Right now I'm still on the fence about parting this tractor, currently I'm leaning more towards selling it whole.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Save it or sell it whole. There are not many parts on a B1/700/725 that fit the later tractors. Transmission and differential parts fit the immediate next generation but not much else...Dave