#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Most tractors and cars have plastic harness connectors for wiring. Sometimes they go bad, break or melt as in my case. I know how to get the terms out of plastic, have done that. NOW, is there really a place to buy just the plastic connector? With-out tails built in them??  I need one for the key switch, 5 terminal.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Do you have a picture of what your looking for?

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:24 PM

The plastic connector covers are out there, just hard to find sometimes!

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,929 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:37 PM

Maybe?

http://www.molex.com...ower_connectors

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yep, I sell them.  I sell the 5 way ignition switch connector for $4 each.  You'll also want 5 little brass connectors to clip into it.  They sell for 90 pennies each. 

Ben W.

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 05:37 AM

This type of tool will give you a factory job if using the correct terminals for the plug . We have one here at work for doing just what you are doing ,    

http://www.sargentto...ire_crimp_tool/

• Bruce Dorsi, Cat385B and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:04 PM

A timely thread ,,,   I have a Hyster at work   with a melted ignition switch/connector but I'll be adding some short lengths of wire to make my own pigtail , not enough slack in the wires to just put new terminals on the ends

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Have a used harness coming my way now!  I found some insulated female with 1/4" tabs at angle, called "Flags" then at Ace hardware in those special hardware boxes. Darn things were $1.50 EACH tho, and I bought six!  Also found straight ones in packs diff place in store. BUT either a six pk or 100 pack, nothing in between. I got two smaller ones, were over half the price of the 100 packs! Not best deal, but I would never use up 100 terminals either. Oh, well!  Happy to have found the "Flags" type.

• Alc said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:32 PM

Have a used harness coming my way now!  I found some insulated female with 1/4" tabs at angle, called "Flags" then at Ace hardware in those special hardware boxes. Darn things were $1.50 EACH tho, and I bought six!  Also found straight ones in packs diff place in store. BUT either a six pk or 100 pack, nothing in between. I got two smaller ones, were over half the price of the 100 packs! Not best deal, but I would never use up 100 terminals either. Oh, well!  Happy to have found the "Flags" type.

Yep, I sell them.  I sell the 5 way ignition switch connector for $4 each.  You'll also want 5 little brass connectors to clip into it.  They sell for 90 pennies each. 

Ben W.

Sounds like you might have been better off with the OEM solution. Glad to hear you got it running anyways.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,670 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hey! NOT running yet!  Used harness came today and had all the same problem areas I'm working on now.  The wires to key switch were twisted up tight, just like this one. Key was loose and turned round and round in dash and NO ONE fixed that! Those wires weren't rubbed open tho. Found the connector to the little puter box had one wire some melted, just like what I experienced on this one.  Found the orig fuse box had one wire gone and other melted on same fuse, just like one I'm working on Now! SO, either this was bad wiring system, or the tractor has some issue that has not been found and corrected?  I'm putting in new fuse box, fixing key switch connector and gonna get new key, just because, and guess I'll be getting that new puter box, the expensive part of all this and hope it works again.

I once had Speedex late model with same engine and was much simpler wiring on that. Seems there is a fuel shut-off valve on PK just like the Speedex. On speedex, when key was off, engine ran a few more seconds before stopping. I'm thinking if I can't get PK right as stock, gonna try to make simpler harness that will still run this engine and bypass all those add-on systems. Have already looked diagram over and see many areas that could be left out, and wire direct to components w/out all those safety circuits in system. Safety be damned!  This tractor has that fuel shut-off and some sort of start relay, might be hardest parts to work with. Not sure if start relay would really be needed tho either, might just be part of safety systems also.