Hydraulic Rear Pto

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:01 PM

After owning this 224 for several years, today I put it to work, gave it a serious workout tilling my brothers garden. The garden was hard with real heavy black soil. After a while of this tough going the tiller started slowing down. I believe it was simply the oil heating up and thinning out. I'm assuming this is normal when working it hard? I stopped and let it cool a while and it was better for a short while. I have fresh 15/40 oil in the system, oil cooler clean, my fan blades not great tho. Two broken fan blades. Did I expect too much from it or would a new fan make a difference? Ideas?

#2 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi Breimer, I have never had a 224 but I have owned a pair of 220's and experienced the same problem with the both of them and both fans were good. Later on I snapped up a 444 and it did better but heat was a problem in warm weather when doing heavy tilling. I am now using a 646 with a Kohler v twin repower and a huge oil cooler with electric fan and things still tend to heat up. I am convinced it is the nature of the beast when it comes to a hydraulic tractor

Edited by Case-Closed, October 19, 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#3 gonafixit OFFLINE  

• Banned
  • Member No: 63049
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 10:02 AM

That fan is there for a reason, and at $14 for a new one why bother? You wouldn't drive your car without a fan would you?