• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:48 PM

I have worked on Onans and Briggs opposed twins but never a Kohler twin.

I have a KT 19 now, (series II what ever that means) 

What are the good the bad the ugly about them?
Are they the same as the Magnum or command twins?
Are they the same as the older K482,K532 engines? 

What interchanges are there between these different model series if any?

This engine has ~1750 hours on the meter.... does that seem like alot for these engines?

Edited by dodge trucker, October 19, 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:15 PM

All I know is the series I was a toad. It had a bad habit of losing lubrication on a hillside. >crunch<

Series II has full pressure lube and a fuel oil filter. It's highly sought after as a replacement engine.

Edited by LilysDad, October 19, 2014 - 02:15 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I don't think Series ll had a filter, just a better oiling system.  Think the filters came out on Magnums is it??  If that 19 is running, better leave it alone. Parts hard to find and not offered by Kohler anymore. It is just big brother to the KT17, not a good engine line at all. Must have been some of Kohler's first and not the best, Yet they put them in everything in the 80's.

• Utah Smitty, LilysDad and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:39 PM

I just got an M18. Gonna be fooling with it some.

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Here is a parts breakdown of the engine http://www.ereplacem...533_111690.html

• KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:23 PM

A KT19 Series II has some value as a replacement engine (like Rich said) for all the ones that blew up in Cub Cadets, Deeres, and all the rest.

Ben W.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:26 PM

If its a series II, you've got a decent engine.
I don't know about parts availability, but this was the predecessor to the Magnum etc engines.

I would say our Sponsors can hook you up on parts normally.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:45 PM

1,750 hours is a lot on any 2 cylinder gas engine, imo.

• Utah Smitty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:06 PM

The series II like others said was a replacement for the series I which would throw rods from lack of oil when it got on a steep hill.  They're completely different from the K482 ect. twins.  I'm not sure about the parts interchange between the KT19 and the M20 but most of the parts should be the same.  The block, cam, and #1 cylinder are different because of the points ignition on the KT and the magneto ignition on the M.  I know most of the parts on the KT17 and M18 except the 3 i listed are interchangeable.  I've put together several engines using parts from the 17 & 18 to make one engine more than once so it should be the same deal for the 19 & 20. And maybe even some of the parts from the 17 & 18 will fit the 19 & 20.  I know the blower housing and cast iron exhaust pipes will fit all 4 but never tried any of the other parts.  Hope this helps.             Stewart

• Utah Smitty, LilysDad and dodge trucker have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:07 PM

there's a guy on CL that has 3 Kohler twins for parts,  2 have rods hanging out and 1 is disassembled but seems to be all there...

1 with a bad rod is a KT 17, the other a Magnum M18.  I think the disassembled one is another KT17.  the Magnum came off an Ariens GT 18 so I know it would have the right crank for my tractor. I don't have to be in a hurry but I'm thinking of looking for and possibly building a spare motor (eventually) for it. I don't want to build up a turd.  but Honda is out of the question too.

I think the guy is high in his asking prices for these motors  but I am wondering how close I could come to building 1 good motor from 2 or 3.. I have E mailed back n forth a few times.

How similar are these to the K series twins?  would a K series bolt in place of a KT?  were the K series (like K482, 532) be a better alternative?

I just looked at that breakdown.... even head gaskets obsoleted out? Crank available, at over $1k? $666 for a flywheel?  YIKES! 

of course the spark plugs are shown in that breakdown as being obsolete, and I know those are very available elsewhere.  .

so then the Magnum twins aren't that good either, if they are basically a KT with electronic ignition?

Edited by dodge trucker, October 19, 2014 - 09:09 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:49 PM

looking at the possibility of picking up a pair of M20's  that need work but are not supposed to be "blown up"

gotta E mail seller again and see details like crank diam to see if theyd work for what I have

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 08:34 PM

a "heads up"... I had mine running a little while ago, the 1st time on its own fuel tank and lines.

As I am still in the process of fixing this machine up into a usable state, previously I just dropped the fuel line into a 5 gallon gas can that I slid under the machine while I had it on a jack;  I ran all new line from the tank to the fuel pump. Originally (at least as I got it) it had rubber fuel hose all the way from tank to pump. I used 1/4" automotive brake line and bent it up, just using short lengths of rubber fuel hose at the tank, at the pump, and on either side of the fuel filter that I added. 

Anyway I never noticed this before while running on the 5 gallon remote can, but now I see the fuel pump is leaking, it appears the diaphragm is bad, leaking between the halves of the pump.  I see on feebay that someone is selling new (but obviously old stock) AC Delco replacements  for this engine. All metal, no plastic! $49 with a 'make offer" option. same price (cheaper than some) used pumps I see listed for these engines...

It makes me wonder what other applications this pump may fit (K/M series singles?)  or what other small engine pumps they may have made at one time?  metal definitely seems better to me than plastic.... the current pump on mine (does look to be original) is even plastic.

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 12:13 AM

1,750 hours is a lot on any 2 cylinder gas engine, imo.

Agreed...

I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in that KT engine, even if it is a Series II... they still weren't near as reliable as a Briggs, a Magnum or an Onan, or even the old K482, -532, -582 series.

I have a KT19 with a daylight crankcase that I just pulled from my Ariens GT19... I don't think it's original to the tractor, but it is a Series II... still threw a rod...

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 08, 2015 - 12:14 AM.

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 08, 2015 - 12:17 AM

looking at the possibility of picking up a pair of M20's  that need work but are not supposed to be "blown up"

gotta E mail seller again and see details like crank diam to see if theyd work for what I have

Don't be too concerned if the crank on the M20s are smaller than the one on your machine.  You can always make a spacer from a bushing by cutting a slot in it for a keyway, then getting some rectangular keystock from McMaster-Carr, etc.  If it's bigger than your engine that may be a problem, especially if you have an electric clutch on the PTO end.

Smitty

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Don't be too concerned if the crank on the M20s are smaller than the one on your machine.  You can always make a spacer from a bushing by cutting a slot in it for a keyway, then getting some rectangular keystock from McMaster-Carr, etc.  If it's bigger than your engine that may be a problem, especially if you have an electric clutch on the PTO end.

Smitty

well, I just heard back from the guy with the pair of M20's, the cranks on his are 1-7/16,  so that means either finding a PTO clutch that size, or turning down the PTO end of the crank on a lathe on one of them to 1-1/4 while I have it apart and cutting a new keyway

I have had a few small engines that I have adapted to "other than the original application" and cut cranks down to what I need them to be, before. I've also had sleeves made to fatten a crank to match what they need to be, and had sheaves bored to the crank diameter of a "new" engine.  But, as long as electric PTO's have been available I have never had to mess with one on a tractor. So I am looking this time to make the engine fit the existing clutch if need be instead of the other way around.

It sounds like both of these engines that this guy has, need work, but appear to be (at the worst) "rebuildable"

One sounds like it might even run with carb work.  both are off of tree chippers.