#1 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 11:39 AM

Having to rebuild the wife's rear end(will post pictures later)...never played around with one of these before so wish me luck,it went out on her Friday and I had to have her towed home....LOL...now that I have your attention,its in her work truck,and this will be my first rebuild,new bearings all the way around and I hope for no broken gears..2000 Chevy Blazer 4x4.

• Bill56, hamman, Lauber1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Wasn't sure what kinda pics we were gonna be looking at!  :smilewink:  Hope it's an easy enough fix.

• Bill56, hamman, Lauber1 and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Wasn't sure what kinda pics we were gonna be looking at!  :smilewink:  Hope it's an easy enough fix.

oh come now ,, you wanted to see. After looking at the back sides of cows all day, it would be a refreshing change. :wave:

• olcowhand, Bill56, grnspot110 and 4 others have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Talking about your Wife's rear end could get you into lots of trouble!!   :watch_over_fence:

How bad is it?   The drive shaft turns and no go?  If so I'd replace the whole axle..  Bearing parts getting around and smashing things is bad.  It just may be as simple as a busted spider gear..  There are quite a bit of things that come into play when you set one of these up..  

So post up a few G rated pictures of your wife's rear end and we'll fire back!!   :watching_you:

• hamman, LilysDad and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Dang Auburn, your REALLY like living life on the edged don't you :rolling:

• WNYTractorTinkerer, superaben, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:49 PM

oh come now ,, you wanted to see. After looking at the back sides of cows all day, it would be a refreshing change. :wave:

Yes, by gosh, yes it would be!  :D

• grnspot110, hamman, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Ya....We want pict..........oh ,okay that kind of rear end. Had me going there for a second. Not good for my heart at my age.   Seriously,, it shouldn't be that hard if you have the right tools and take the time to take it out of the vehicle and get it up where you can work on it. I've done one back in the 70s and helped with a couple of others. Dust and dirt are the worst of it. Make sure to power wash it after you get it out of the truck and before you open it up.  Good luck and let us see the problem. 

Roger.

• Auburn David said thank you

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Who is the bigger tease; you or your wife?

I had a 2001 Dodge 1/2 T. The pinion bearing went out at 67,000 miles. I took it to a so called expert mechanic. He said the shaft had a groove worn where the bearing rides, so he put a sleeve on it. After awhile it was acting up again and took it back. He said the fluid leaked out between the shaft and sleeve. :wallbanging:  Fixed it again and then it started acting up again. Took it back again and said fix it good enough to trade in. I'm not sure how much is Dodge's fault and how much is 'expert mechanic'. D**n, I liked that truck, too!

#9 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Who is the bigger tease; you or your wife?

I had a 2001 Dodge 1/2 T. The pinion bearing went out at 67,000 miles. I took it to a so called expert mechanic. He said the shaft had a groove worn where the bearing rides, so he put a sleeve on it. After awhile it was acting up again and took it back. He said the fluid leaked out between the shaft and sleeve. :wallbanging:  Fixed it again and then it started acting up again. Took it back again and said fix it good enough to trade in. I'm not sure how much is Dodge's fault and how much is 'expert mechanic'. D**n, I liked that truck, too!

They make what they call a Repair bearing for those now I understand,it rides in a different area than the OEM bearing and has a built in seal...Thats what I am going back with on this project.

I am a lucky man,I got a wife with a great sense of humor(and her rear end aint bad either...LOL)..She has put up with me for 30 years so far..I hope for 30 more.

• olcowhand and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:56 PM

I was thinking he was a plastic surgeon when I first read title.

I just went through this a couple months ago on my son's Bronco, spider gears blew up on his.