• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Like I stated a few weeks ago,i bought a MF1650 at an auction.I had no intentions of looking at this one till next spring,but once I opened up my Onan for the MF1855,I thought I'd see what this tractor all needed. Besides lots of broken,stripped and missing bolts,and all 4 tires not holding air. I cleaned the points and gapped them,changed fuel lines and cleaned the carb. Added some gas and away she purred.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141015_205831.jpg
  • IMG_20141015_205630.jpg

• IamSherwood, boyscout862 and gtcsreg have said thanks

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:40 AM

I also figured I'd change the fuid in the hydro. I drained about 4 liters of water and a bit of fluid came out at the end. So it got a filter change as well. I can't figure out why they had a tap brazed into the line for the 3ph! That cylinder was leaking like crazy,but why not fix it? Oh well,it will come in handy this winter.I plan on making a weight box for it,this way,i can put it all the way up and shut the feed off and not worry about it drifting down.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:14 AM

Gee, the hydro was full of water! Does it seem to work OK now that you have the oil/filter changed? It's recommended that you leave your 3 point hitch down. This releases the pressure on the seals and other parts and helps them last longer. 

• limebuzz and IamSherwood have said thanks

#4 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Gee, the hydro was full of water! Does it seem to work OK now that you have the oil/filter changed? It's recommended that you leave your 3 point hitch down. This releases the pressure on the seals and other parts and helps them last longer. 

Ya,it drives nice and smooth,hydraulics both work great! Hmmm, I never heard that you should leave the 3ph down. I always have mine up out of the way. Thanks for sharing Brian.

#5 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I found a set of MF weights and a set of chains for this tractor too.Heading out soon to go pick them up.Another road trip.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:26 AM

Ya,it drives nice and smooth,hydraulics both work great! Hmmm, I never heard that you should leave the 3ph down. I always have mine up out of the way. Thanks for sharing Brian.

I don't think it would hurt anything if it wasn't loaded but with a weight box attached you are better off parking it with the hitch down. If you have no way to lock it in the up position it's also a safety hazard to leave it up. If you have kid s around, a tractor is like a magnet and a pull on the wrong lever and the box comes down. Hopefully nobody is under it at that time. 

• Bill56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:30 AM

True Brian,Ive got a 3 year old that is fascinated with the tractors.but with the valve shut off,it can't go down. But you said it causes a strain on the seals.So I probably should lower it when not in use.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Yes, the pressure needed to hold up the load would be on the cylinder and it's seals 24hrs a day when the machine is parked. This is not good for seal life. 

• limebuzz said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,199 Thanks
  • 6,909 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Set box at height you want and make a solid link from arms or rockshaft to somewhere on tractor, so it can't move and you're all set. can still shut off valve so you won't be trying to run system with blockage.  Operating with blockage can blow pump, so be careful not to do that lever.

• limebuzz said thank you

#10 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Set box at height you want and make a solid link from arms or rockshaft to somewhere on tractor, so it can't move and you're all set. can still shut off valve so you won't be trying to run system with blockage.  Operating with blockage can blow pump, so be careful not to do that lever.

Thanks glgrumpy. Sounds like a plan.

#11 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 909 Thanks
  • 912 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Well I got her all back together,pretty close anyways.i have to put tail lights in it,fix the headlights(bad ground I think.Put the chains on it and attach the snow blade. And free up the choke better.