Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Pclinuxos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 04:19 PM

I think most everyone will agree that GTT is a very unique site on the web.  One that is more friendly and helpful then most other sites.  Most other sites I belong to or visit aren't nearly as friendly and you always seem to have that one individual that is rude or belligerent.  Personally I never thought I would find another site like GTT but I have.

As most know I'm a big fan of Linux OS, over the past year I have grown tried of all the Ubuntu off shoots out there and decided I wanted something different but stable.  I saw a review on distrowatch for PCLinuxOS (PCLOS for short).  The review was quit favorable and in the write ups they described their forums as like a family.  So I decided to give it a try and I have been quite impressed.  Not only with PCLOS but with their forum as well.  They are very helpful and don't give folk a lot of grief about "Did you search for..." 

PCLOS is a rolling release which means there really isn't an end of life you always have the latest version installed and that includes software as well.  I have been using it for a little over a month now and it has been rock solid.  I keep my PC up 24/7 and have not had any issues.  Updates do come pretty fast and often but again I haven't had issue with any of them.  So if you run Linux or if you are looking for a rock solid OS you might want to give PCLOS a try. 

• MH81, lyall, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Bill I'm running ubuntu 14.04 lts . What options does PCLOS give to install or do I have to backup and start with clean slate?

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:02 PM

I need to do this one of these days, so I'll be lurking!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Thanks Bill. It looks like a goos spot to learn about linux before loading it up. I have a couple of off lease PC's here that I got for 10$ without hard drives or OS. I'd like to try putting a drive in one and using Linux on it. 

#5 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:10 PM

looks good HDWildBill

here is the minimum that is needed to ran a laptop or PC

++++++++++++++++++++++++

KDE 32 bit or 64 bit

Processor

Modern Intel or AMD processor. 64bit releases require a 64bit processor.

Memory & storage

RAM : 1 GB, or more (recommended 4 GB+).

Hard disk : 10 GB or more recommended if you plan to install additional software from our repository.

Video card

nVidia, ATI HD 4000 or better, Intel

3D desktop support requires a 3D instructions set compatible card.

Sound card

Any Sound Blaster, AC97 or HDA compatible card.

Other

CD/DVD drive required for burned liveCD/DVD image, or USB flash drive larger than 4 GB for liveUSB image conversion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FullMonty Desktop differnet KDE

32 bit or 64 bit

Processor

Modern Intel or AMD 64bit processor.

Memory & storage

RAM : 1 GB, or more (recommended 4 GB+).

Hard disk : 20 GB or more recommended if you plan to install additional software from our repository.

Video card

nVidia, ATI HD 4000 or better, Intel

Sound card

Other

DVD drive required for burned liveDVD image, or USB flash drive larger than 4 GB for liveUSB image conversion.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LXDE Desktop
Processor

Modern Intel or AMD processor.

Memory & storage

RAM : 384 MB minimum, 1 GB recommended.

Hard disk : 3 GB minimum, 10 GB or more recommended if you plan to install additional software from our repository.

Video card

nVidia, ATI HD4000 or better, Intel.

Sound card

Other

CD/DVD drive required

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mate Desktop
Processor

Modern Intel or AMD processor.

Memory & storage

RAM : 512 MB minimum, 1 GB recommended.

Hard disk : 3 GB minimum, 10 GB or more recommended if you plan to install additional software from our repository.

Video card

nVidia, ATI, Intel

Sound card

Other

CD/DVD drive or usbkey required

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

it looks like after you download the iso file and burn it to a DVD you can boot your PC or laptop from the DVD

it will run from the DVD so that you can check the OS over to see if you like it.

you can install it on your harddrive or a thumbdrive (memory stick)

if you run it from the DVD and you need to save some data you can save the data to a memory stick or harddrive

if you want you should be able to install it along side your Windows - this will make the PC or laptop a dual boot machine

be making your machine a dual boot you can boot to Windows or to Linux

you can get your data from Windows or from the Linux directory that your data is saved

PCLinuxOS does look like a good system to try - which I will

before you try it PLEASE read and look over their site - it will help you decide which one you will work the best for you

if you are not sure which one is the best for you.  you can download each of them and burn each to a DVD

then just ran it from the DVD until you decide which one is best for you

thanks HDWildBill for showing us this OS

Lyall

• MH81 and gopher have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 10:25 PM

WHAT?   :reading_the_manual:

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:08 AM

Bill I'm running ubuntu 14.04 lts . What options does PCLOS give to install or do I have to backup and start with clean slate?

It all depends on how the HD is partitioned.  If the home folder is on another partition then you can install PCLOS on the OS partition and then let it hook up to the current home folder.  If it is all on one partition then it will probably reformat that partition to install.  As always thought back up your data before you do anything.  There is always that outside chance something could go wrong.  

I do know that when you tell PCLOS to use the entire HD it will create two separate partitions, one for the OS and one for the home folder.  So if you should ever have to do a reinstall for some reason you can and it won't effect you data.  There is another nice little plus with PCLOS which is called MyLiveCD.  After you install PCLOS and get it setup the way you want it you can then make an ISO image and then burn it to a CD and have a live CD.  So if you did ever need to do a reinstall you just use your live CD and put the system back to the way it was. 

• MH81 and gopher have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Bill. It looks like a goos spot to learn about linux before loading it up. I have a couple of off lease PC's here that I got for 10$ without hard drives or OS. I'd like to try putting a drive in one and using Linux on it. 

That's how I started to lean how to do it, but when I started we had to manually partition the HD now the installation program will do it for you in most cases unless you just want to do it manually. 

When you do take that step make sure you join the forum and there are plenty of folks there that will help you through the process.  The are also creating an IM channel so you could talk to someone live and they have a monthly mag that comes out with some good tips and articles on how to do or applications.  I'm pretty impressed with all the things they have going on.

• MH81 said thank you