Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Home Built Mini Articulating 4X4 High Loader ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Ok, I still have some other projects to finish before I start another, BUT, I am thinking about building a "MINI" articulating 4x4 high loader. I have a old Burkeen 4 wheel drive articulating trencher and a 50hp Case Diesel engine that runs great (off of a Case 530CK loader/backhoe). Anyway, this trencher was originally a walk beside, I will probably build it to where I sit over the back tires, and the front half will hold the loader. The engine is probably going to stick out behind the back tires, but it's a fairly short engine so it shouldn't stick out to far.

The biggest problem is speed, this trencher originally went 2.5mph in "transport mode". So  I don't know if there will be any easier ways to speed it up or not. I'm probably going to put bigger tires on it, but I still want a wide tire for better stability.

I didn't know if anyone here had any ideas on this build??? I'm going to use a straight armed loader design, I already have a old skid steer bucket and I also have a big mulch bucket.

I added a picture of what I'm aiming for.

Let me know what you think???

Attached Thumbnails

• VW BUG RUST 013.JPG
  • VW BUG RUST 014.JPG
  • VW BUG RUST 015.JPG
  • Mini High Loader.PNG

• gtcsreg, superspeedex, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:48 AM

That should be a great project. I think estimating by the size of the machine that you have about twice the hp you will need.I had a 7500 lb Waldon and it had less than 50 hp.A good running 188 or 207 in my area would fetch $1500 so you might consider selling the engine and buying something more in size to match the loader.

I have some 26 x12-12 wheels and tires from an old Case trencher and some hydraulic cylinders from the trencher as well if you might be interested.

• BTS said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Here's kind of what you are looking to build popped up on my local CL recently. 

May give you an idea or two

https://cincinnati.c...4693628195.html

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info, that's a nice looking machine, but I don't like all the plastic junk, I think that would make it harder to work on.

I do like the extending loader design, I thought about using a forklift mast for arms so it could then telescope. I think using a forklift mast would be the easiest since all the work is already done. I also have a friend who has 2 old junk forklifts :thumbs:.

This trencher originally had a Hatz 35hp engine, so I don't think the engine will be over powered, I have found these loaders around the size of the trencher and they are around 40hp. I have tried to sell this engine before and I couldn't even get $800 out of it, I thought for that I will just keep it. I do have a NEW 20hp Kubota engine, but I it is going to go on a home built utility vehicle. Like I said, so many projects to do, but I want to do this mini high loader when I finish the tracked John Deere 140.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 01:03 PM

Cad Plans has that Cad-loader in there plan offers. smaller engine and probly not that high of lift, might go look at least on the site. I would be worried about the trencher's swivel link being big enough for all that additional weight you are adding. Those are some TALL towers to make that high loader, good luck with making a working safe design.

• BTS said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the info. This old trencher seems really heavy and stout (the frame is solid).

There shouldn't be much more weight on the articulating joint then what the machine weighs, because my loader will be mounted on the front, so when I pick up a lot of weight it will just have the weight/presser of the back end of the machine sticking out there, the weight that it is lifting will all be on the front axle. by the way, the axles look like 1/2 ton pickup axles that are cut down, so I'm not worried about them either. These loaders do have tall towers, they lift around 8' and that's not the telescoping loader design. These loaders also lift around 2,300lbs and 1,700lbs articulated.

This will be a fun project for when I get some more time.

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:10 AM

I did some searching and found that the Burkeen B-30 is only 35" wide. From practical experience with a GT that was 39" wide, That's more than a bit narrow for any serious payload at 6' above grade, let alone 8", unless it is limited to operating on concrete or asphalt.

These loaders usually have a heavy cast iron ballast weight incorporated into the rear frame. Finding the right amount of ballast requried to offset payload without leaving the front tire loading too little for proper steering  is going to be an execise. Ditto for rear tire loading with a maximum paylod.

On such a small frame, 2300 lb of payload is not going to happen, and 1700 lb, besides being iffy, is not a plan for any height above about 2'. Anytime that payload exceeds machine weight, you're in trouble.

• olcowhand and BTS have said thanks

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:23 PM

This is the specs on the Waldon I used to own and might give some ideas for your scaled down version.

Attached Thumbnails

• Waldon.JPG

• BTS said thank you

#9 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 10:04 PM

This is the specs on the Waldon I used to own and might give some ideas for your scaled down version.

Thanks for the info, that will come in handy! :wave:

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 10:25 PM

I did some searching and found that the Burkeen B-30 is only 35" wide. From practical experience with a GT that was 39" wide, That's more than a bit narrow for any serious payload at 6' above grade, let alone 8", unless it is limited to operating on concrete or asphalt.

These loaders usually have a heavy cast iron ballast weight incorporated into the rear frame. Finding the right amount of ballast requried to offset payload without leaving the front tire loading too little for proper steering  is going to be an execise. Ditto for rear tire loading with a maximum paylod.

On such a small frame, 2300 lb of payload is not going to happen, and 1700 lb, besides being iffy, is not a plan for any height above about 2'. Anytime that payload exceeds machine weight, you're in trouble.

This old thing is narrow, I'm probably going to build hub extenders and get it out to around 4'. I'm not worried about the weight issues, I have a antique tractor salvage and I have access to a lot of wheel weights. Right now I have 2 weights that are 250lbs each, 2 others that weigh over 300lbs each and I have a set of 2 piece weights that weigh around 150lbs each (=600lbs). I also have some small Minneapolis Moline front weights that fit in the 12" rims perfect, plus I can always fluid fill the tires :thumbs:

Also if I buy my friends old junk forklift then I could always use the weight off of the back of it too.

This will be used on rough terrain so stability is my # 1 concern.