28 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:18 AM

I purchased an older 3 speed tractor less motor that had been sitting outside for about 10 years.  The gears were good and putting it in my 1053.  Problem is that the right hand free wheeling hub is siezed as well as the traction knob on the left side.  I don't know which way the knob was when it was parked.  Using a big punch and hammer I can move the treaction knob about 1/8".  I have the cover off.  Can I tell by looking inside?  Would appreciate any advise.  Have learned alot with this first Bolens purchase.  Getting educated by the school of hard knocks and this site.  Thanks guys for all your information.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like your going to need some soaking time on those rusted parts.

Maybe post a couple pictures so we can see what we are dealing with.

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Will get a couple photos later today.  Going to the city this morning.

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Ran out and got a photo quick.  I have been soaking the free wheeling hub in penatrant.  Yesterday I forced about 3 strokes of grease into the zerk.  When I went to get a photo this morning I found the hub had rotated and is about lined up for the pin to go in so itis loose.  Needs to be worked to finish freeing it up.  But the traction hub is still siezed.  Not sure where I need to put the penetrant on that dude.  Photo attached of what I am dealing with.  Thanks for you help.Hub.JPG

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:02 AM

There is a snap ring on the end of the controlled differential knob. It wont come off with it on, hard to tell from the pictures if its there though.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,755 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Keep soaking the traction knob,and keep working it ,maybe easier to take the wheel off and get a big pipe wrench to work it,just don't get crazy forcing it ,a little at a time and you will get it

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I had a tranny that the shifter was frozen.  I used PB Blaster on it and it took about a week of just spraying it and working the linkage back and forth but finally got it free and it still is working today.  Just keep spraying the traction knob and work it a little at a time.  Oh and welcome aboard.

#8 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 01:07 PM

Ran out and got a photo quick.  I have been soaking the free wheeling hub in penatrant.  Yesterday I forced about 3 strokes of grease into the zerk.  When I went to get a photo this morning I found the hub had rotated and is about lined up for the pin to go in so itis loose.  Needs to be worked to finish freeing it up.  But the traction hub is still siezed.  Not sure where I need to put the penetrant on that dude.  Photo attached of what I am dealing with.  Thanks for you help.attachicon.gifHub.JPG

Seeing this picture, if you haven't removed the snap ring yet you are probably crushing it now. Turn the knob clockwise to tighten it down to get clearance to the snap ring. Then turn counter-clockwise to remove the knob.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Just got home for the city.  I have only moved the knob about 1/8" one way and then back and quit.  Don't know which way it needs to go for sure.  Going out to the shop now and remove the snap ring and see what I can get done.  PB Blaster is about the best there is in my opinion.  GM has a good one also but much more expensive.  Could not find the input shaft seal so will have to order it Monday.  Different drawings show different detail of thing I found out.  The print out I have for the 3 speed transmission don't show any of the snap rings, etc.  Looks like anything that one can get locally isn't shown.  Had to go to the 6 speed diagram to see that there was a internal snap ring holding the input shaft bearing in place.  We live and learn and boy am I learning.  Question is - how much will I retain  ? ?   Thanks to all for their input.  Will let you know how I turn out.

chieffan

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:30 PM

With the snap ring off you should just be able to unthread it off the shaft, since its so close to the end it wont take much to get it off.

If you need the snap rings & new seals I have them instock

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Making more headway on the tractor.  Pried the snap ring off as it was siezed with rust, etc.  Leaned on a 24" pipe wrench counter clockwise and it started to move.  Back it up and tried again and kept on truning.  After a few round I could turn it off by had.  Got everything out cleaned u- and ready to go back together.  The diagream I haver showes only 1 spring washer.  When I took it apart there were 4  spring washers.  Should I put the 4 back in or just the one as the diagream calls for ? ?

Someone has had it apart and lost the on 5/16" square key and put a 1/4" in it's place.  Have several sizes except 5/16". 

The free wheeling hub is loose also.  Forces grease into the zerk and with the penatrant on the outside if came loose.  Cane turn it fairly easy now, with a little help with a channel lock.

Will get the rest of the parts, including the driven PTO pulley & belts and will be back up and running.  Thanks for all your helpguys.  Now I can sit back and watch the race tomorrow.  Just maybe the 24 team can pull it off but things are really heating up.  $75K in fines handed down Tuesday.

chieffan

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Glad you got it free, while you have the nuts exposed its a good idea to adjust your rear axle end play as I'm sure the previous owner didnt do it.

http://gardentractor...lay-adjustment/

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Will do that when it goes back together.  Have to do some reading and see how it is done.

#14 68guns OFFLINE  

68guns

• Member No: 7878
  • 122 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Do yourself a HUGE favor and keep that free wheeling pin WELL greased!

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:45 PM

I was going to use powered graphite on it.  Would grease be better?  Thinking about the dirt and dust it would gather.