9 replies to this topic

#1 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I parked the Gravely in the shed and now she just doesn't want to start. I have only messed with the K series and know nothing about the M series engines.

I plan  to tear into it tomorrow. It sputtered one time with starting fluid. So I know there is at least a minimal spark there. The plugs are old, so new ones are needed. I am thinking that they might be part of the problem.

There is also the posibility of it being a fuel or carb issue. I think the fuel pump will be easy to trouble shoot. But then the carb, what are they like?

Anyone have any experiance with these carbs? 

The thing of it is, this old girl ran like a charm when I tried it out the other week. 

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I've had fuel pump issues with mine and I've heard of a lot more people having similar troubles. One of the check valves drop out of position when they get hot.
  • shorty said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 06:03 AM

With all the rain we've had, I would suspect water in the gas. That ethanol will pull moisture out of the atmosphere. Good Luck, Rick

• shorty said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:35 AM

I've had fuel pump issues with mine and I've heard of a lot more people having similar troubles. One of the check valves drop out of position when they get hot.

I was wondering about that. It just seemed to be a poor location for it. It is kind of in the middle on top there where it has to be getting a lot of heat. 

I will have to check out the fuel supply today.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yesterday, with new plugs and a bit of starting fluid, she started and idled ok. After running for a few minutes I shut it down. Later in the day it started like it was never an issue. So I tilled the garden to give it a workout and it just purred along. Shut it down again and later it started just fine.

Now I am wondering if the fuel pump is getting weak. If it can't prime itself when trying to start. But when it is running it can keep up.

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:56 PM

collapsing rubber line maybe? or disintegrating from the inside out?

• shorty said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:59 PM

That is something I didn't think of checking. It could easily be something like that.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 03:28 PM

This thing totally died in the middle of moving snow the other week. I was over at the neighbor and it started sputtering, so I quickly got across the road in my drive til it died. I got it to start on some starting fluid, but wouldn't fire without it. I am really suspecting the fuel pump went  bad. Wow, they want a lot for a replacement. Right now I am thinking of putting an electric one on. Just curious how others hook one up. Do you just bypass the other pump or completely take it off.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I finally got to checking this a bit today. I took the pump off and opened it up. I found that the valve on the intake side isn't sealing any more. And the diaphram is looking quite rough. I think that if I could get the valve to close it would be good for a while.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 05:05 AM

Last night I got to comparing the fuel pump from the Magnum to one off a K series. They look about identical except for the little arm. I almost tried to switch the little arms to see if that would work. Then I chickened out and decided not to mess up two fuel pumps at one time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohler, m18, gravely