22 replies to this topic

#16 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Alot of tractors car pull rolling weight 9000. take the wheels off it and pull it sideways. And yes hydro are great for  some stuff but most every puller is a manual tran.

4h.png

Edited by Chris11, October 18, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

#17 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have a deere 210 that I pull. It is belt driven to a 4 speed transaxle, but like Chris said, it has bearings and has a cast iron case so it can handle abuse. I have beat cubs and they have beat me, so I am not going to get into a red vs green argument. The deere's that are shaft driven are hydros and I personally would not pull one of them. If you are not going to pull with an organization (ever) than have some fun and use your imagination and build it the way you want. If you want to pull with an organization in the future I would get a rule book from the local organizations and build it to meet the rules for the class you intend to run.
  • Chris11 said thank you

#18 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Look around for a club. If you have never pulled before I would suggest going to an event and take in as much as possible. Understand how everything works and what not. When it comes to cubs they are great. Any stock tractor is good that being said anything along the lines of garden tractors. Sears, wheel horses, Deere's cubs. Stay away from the lawn tractors and hydro's. Once you start making horsepower its a wise thing to use a cub. Now with using a stock cub transmission you only have one pulling gear available to use which would be your second gear. If you look to become serious I would take a look at Midwest super cubs website and view his gears and over drivers etc. You'll want a heavier clutch spring to go along with it even it being stock I would highly suggest you grab a red spring from Midwest or Nichols performance. There's a big aftermarket community for cub cadets so anything is available. Anything from fiberglass hoods and fenders to pro mod vtwin engines and up.   

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Go to Dave Kirks web site and read his Killer Kohler articles. It tells how to build an engine that has more hp but is yard legal.

http://www.kirkengines.com/

#20 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:51 AM

There will be some differences between pulling on dirt compared to asphalt or concrete also, but the basics are the same. You will need to focus on your tractor and what it is telling you when you are going down the track. There is a thread about stock gt pulling on this Page, you will have to look back a few pages to find it. It has a lot of knowledge released that will be helpful to you.

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:21 PM

He keeps telling you folks he's not pulling on a track.

#22 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 03:23 PM

But now he has all the info in case he wants too.
  • lesmeister said thank you

#23 Stihl Blazin OFFLINE  

Stihl Blazin
  • Member No: 62702
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 08:36 PM

New  update post boys follow up 

http://gardentractor...-found-the-one/