#17 GTpicker01 ONLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:09 AM

I know I had trouble with my cub original governor. It turned out that the original throttle cable broke and bent a new end on it and it only idled and ran wide open after that. Seems the length of the throttle cable has to be exactly 37.5 inches to work properly. I don't know if this will fix yours but it may be worth a try.

Edited by GTpicker01, October 18, 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I know I had trouble with my cub original governor. It turned out that the original throttle cable broke and bent a new end on it and it only idled and ran wide open after that. Seems the length of the throttle cable has to be exactly 37.5 inches to work properly. I don't know if this will fix yours but it may be worth a try.

no it has more to do with the length of cable sticking out of the conduit than overall length. They used these engines on LOTS of machines not just Cub Originals and every application needs a different length throtle cable.

as for the OP's issue, when the engine is running at max operating speed, with no load on it, the throttle WILL NOT be "wide open" 

When a load is applied (engine is actually "working" mowing or plowing etc) the governor will open the throttle as needed to compensate for the load and try to keep the engine at an even speed.

"Wide open" with no load will be way too many revs for the engine to handle for long without blowing itself up. 

So by not letting the revs flare too high maybe your governor is working JUST like it should???

#19 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 62693
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 01:24 PM

That's a good point, but I'm not even getting half throttle out of it. The throttle butterfly on the carburetor clearly barely opens half way when the engine is running. But when not running, the butterfly goes all the way to the wide open stop, and back down to the idle stop. It only doesn't open up all the way when the engine is running. As of now, I'm barely getting enough engine speed to run third gear. :/

#20 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:08 PM

I went over all my linkages, and I tightened a few things up, and I got just a few more RPM out of her, but the governor still doesn't want to let the throttle up all the way. It has to be something the governor is hitting physically. Something must be stuck. I'm not surprised at that considering that the machine sat untouched outdoors for roughly 15 years...

#21 Spaceboy5 OFFLINE  

Spaceboy5
  • GTt Junior
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I don't know how the internal governor works, and it would be a big project to take it apart and see, because the governor housing is casted into the block. I would need to take the head off or the crankcase apart to get to it. And that much dismantling spells trouble. I've been hoping whatever is stuck or blocked would loosen up with running, but I've run it for at least 10 or 20 hours since I got it running. This is so incredibly confusing and hard to explain.