• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • Member No: 62674
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Yes I will be doing a "frame off" this winter. My dad just said to me last weekend that he is looking at getting a tiller next year for the garden. Since I don't need the tiller and he really needs a tough tractor, it will be a good investment for a gift. I'm getting excited thinking about it. Can't wait to see the look on his face.

#17 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 06:11 AM

By the way, both the tractor have a chain in back with a handle on the end. What is that for? I'm used to my previous new holland (toro) having a release bar on the back so I can roll it around, but that is a little handle with a ball on the end on the transmission for these, so I'm confused as to what the chain is for.

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 04:53 PM

The chain is for the mower deck lift. Inside there is a spring and then it goes to the lift arms in the middle. It helps the deck float a bit and also reduces the pressue off the lift cylinder.

• dodge trucker and markoor have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:12 PM

The chain is for the mower deck lift. Inside there is a spring and then it goes to the lift arms in the middle. It helps the deck float a bit and also reduces the pressue off the lift cylinder.

oops... I thought that was the hydro release so the tractor could be pushed manually if needed be

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,580 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 05:36 AM

The hydro release will be right on top of the pump, a flapper that will push down the release, The New Holland will have a different release. I kinda remember a knob on the side of the pump to release.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#21 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:16 AM

ok so then my tractor is not yet running. It has been pushed on a trailer, winched off that trailer and onto another trailer, and then pushed off of my trailer and into my garage. From my trailer to where it presently sits it was pushed a whopping 15' or so. 

I pulled that chain thinking that "it" was the release for the hydro.  I did not know what was "really" the hydro release and do not know if the PO activated it;  I know the system is way low on fluid, because it won't steer.  (GT 19m has power steering)

What does it do to the transmission by pushing/towing without releasing it? (apparently it cannot be good)

Edited by dodge trucker, October 25, 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yes I will be doing a "frame off" this winter. My dad just said to me last weekend that he is looking at getting a tiller next year for the garden. Since I don't need the tiller and he really needs a tough tractor, it will be a good investment for a gift. I'm getting excited thinking about it. Can't wait to see the look on his face.

right now the goal with mine is to just get it running so that I can use the plow for this winter.  I have a Woods ZTR for mowing duty, which is almost done for the year....a couple of more uses of that machine this year with the trac vac in tow for leaf duty. I would not mind pulling it all apart and repainting it but that won't happen for a while (if it does) as I have too much other stuff to do first

#23 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yeah the little handle with a ball on the end on the transmission is to release it to roll around. Both the S-16 ariens and s-14 New Holland have them. Thanks for the advice on the chain Shorty. I was told this when I bought it thankfully or I would have been pushing it around to by pulling the chain. Hahaha! I have a 21HP MTD garden tractor for mowing and bagging leaves. My Ariens will be for snow blowing. Not sure if I will hook up the mower deck. I guess that depends on if I can find a bagger which seems impossible. Or if I run across a nice cheap vac bagger system. Too much to do, so little time.

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 02:44 PM

yeah I saw an Ariens bagger that runs off the rear PTO for sale earlier in the week but do not remember where that was  maybe Ebay?