• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • Member No: 62674
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie (From west Michigan) Ariens owner as well. I just picked up an S-16 with a newer 2 stage 48" snowblower. A few minor blemishes and problems but nothing that affects the use of it yet? Along with this tractor I got 2 mower decks, a tiller, and a spare tractor (new Holland s-14). The new Holland is almost complete and they said it ran perfect before parking, but hasn't ran in years as they just kept it around for spare parts. Anyway I will be freshening mine up and keeping some hard to find parts from the parts tractor, but may be selling some parts from it as well. One of the decks is tan, I'm assuming from the New Holland. And the tiller will be up for sale as well. It is a new Holland tiller as well, and seems to be in pretty good shape. Everything turns freely. I will hook it up to make sure it works good first. Also I noticed some people on here looking for decals. I can print my own decals (another hobby) and will be printing new stickers out for mine. I will need your help getting this tractor back to perfect running condition. Only problems I'm having with it is I can't put on my inspection cover that your feet rest on cuz as soon as I put it into forward, the fan starts to hit it. Also when I lower my snowblower, it wants to creep forward slowly. Or if I put it in the start/park position, it does the same. Anyway I will look over the site to see if I can figure it out with earlier posts. I'll posts some pics when I get a chance of my ariens and parts tractor.
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:53 PM

Welcome to GTtalk markoor!

Sounds like you got a great collection to start with. On the fan hitting the tunnel cover, my guess is that the fan is somehow slid front on the shaft. A bit of a spacer to keep it back could work. The previous owner of my S-16 took the alternate route of chopping out the cover until it didn't hit. The creeping is most likely from loose or worn linkage going to the hydro control. The easiest way to adjust that is to jack up the rear and find neutral then adjust then linkage to match that.

• markoor said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:01 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

#4 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Welcome to the forum!

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Welcome!  Always nice to see another Michigander join the ranks here!

• markoor said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Welcome aboard.  Since we don't get much snow down here I have never messed with a snow blower.

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 09:28 AM

WELCOME to GTTalk!

#8 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone and sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot at first. I saw it got moved but I didn't see how to make a new post. Most forums I join don't let you post a new post until you've made a couple posts in other peoples conversations.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I got to thinking about your linkage today. Your S-16 should have a cam to control the arm off the hydro. If that arm has any free movement in the cam, that will be causing most of your creeping.

• markoor said thank you

#10 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I think you are right shorty. There is a bushing missing off the end of my cam. My new holland parts tractor has one on it but my ariens looks like is wore away. I may just switch out the whole linkage. The new Holland tractor seems very tight and in good condition. The ariens is quite sloppy. Guess that will be my first project this weekend.

• shorty said thank you

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 10:59 PM

if the NH ran when parked it may well not take much to get running too. Did they say why it was parked?  If it is as complete as you say, I'm the type that hates parting out something good.... see if you can get it going, and see if the pats needed for the orange one can be had reasonably...  maybe you can get em both going and put a blade on one and blower on the other, or sell one and get most of your $$ back, and you will have which ever one you keep for next to free...

• markoor said thank you

#12 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 11:58 AM

DT, I have been debating back and forth about that. It will be a little bit before I can get to the NH. Right now I'm still concentrating on the Ariens and its needs. I messed with the linkage on Saturday to get it to stop creeping in neutral. Another problem I'm having that I'm completely lost at is the reverse is that of a crawl. The previous owner cut out a longer notch so the reverse could go back farther. I'm trying to figure out the initial problem as to why he had to do that in the first place. Its like in some sense the previous owner took good care of it, when I look at stuff like the metal cut away so reverse worked better, i start to wonder. I also noticed that if I'm going around top speed it tends to jerk a little. Not terrible but enough to be annoying. Are these problems linked (trans or hydraulic issue)

• dodge trucker said thank you

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 07:11 PM

I would guess that he cut it to regain some of what he lost with the worn linkage. Had you checked the oil level in the trans or change the filter? The jerking reminds me of what I experianced when the oil level got low.

• markoor said thank you

#14 markoor OFFLINE  

markoor
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:32 AM

Shorty you read my mind. I was a bit tired after work yesterday so I didn't get a chance to look, but that was my next mission to tackle. Changing all the fluids. Thanks! Dodge, since I had some time to think about it, I may start the New Holland restoration. I sold me Bronco which opened up a spot in the garage. Since my Ariens runs good and has the snowblower on it, restoring the new holland will give me a new project over the winter. I haven't been very good at this in the past but I will try to get before, during and after pics of the New Holland Project. My dad has been blowing up all the cheap box store tractors and I he needs something strong. It may be my present to him.

• shorty said thank you

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 10:30 PM

may not have to "restore" it to get it looking good and all back working again.... to me "restore" means every nut and bolt comes out whether it needs to or not.

• markoor said thank you