Winter Is Fast Approaching, Time To Start Getting Ready And Staying Safe

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 11:49 AM

Auburn,,,,   Reminds me of an old joke..

A guy is sick and tired of blowing snow every day in Mich.  One day he has had enough,,, Goes in the house, tells the wife and kids THAT'S  IT  were moving south. I'm tired of this white crap....    So they pack up the station wagon..  He puts the snowblower on the roof of the wagon and off they go... as they drive south they stop to get gas,,,,( Alabama I think ) :smilewink:   He is filling up the wagon,, these 2 guys on the porch yell out,,,,,,What's that thing on the roof of your'e car..?????   He turns back to the wife and yells  HONEY  we just found  HOME..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• grnspot110 and Auburn David have said thanks

#17 markoor OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62674
  • 7 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 09:36 AM

We had so much snow here last year it was unbelievable. I was a bit young last time we had a snowstorm like this that my folks told me about in 78. I started with a single stage snowblower. Then found a single stage 38 inch snowblower for my new holland LS55. even though the snow was fairly light and fluffy all year, the extreme cold temps froze up my tractor after about 4 days of getting about a foot of snow every day. ended up buying a plow truck for the rest of the season. This year my garage is insulated so I can add some heat and keep the snow melted off my ariens. The 2 stage will be a nice addition too. I have 175 feet of driveway andabout 800 feet of private drive to take care of. So I hope I'm fine this year.

• Auburn David said thank you

#18 mtoney OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13665
  • 549 Thanks
  • 527 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I bought a cab, I think it came off a Sunstar or a different model Allis/Simplicity as I had to do some adaptation on the front mount.  But its all installed and ready for snow.  I have a HD spring trip blade on the front of the 920 for now.  If money permits, I will get a snowthrower soon.   Mike

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 01:47 PM

I'll just be using the FEL and rear blade on the 420 again this year. No cab.

If it's colder than -20, I generally wear a toque instead of a ball cap. If it's colder than -30, I just stay inside.

I have a yellow winter jacket that isn't that good, but does okay with a quilted flannel underneath. I have many of those. Generally I just wear jeans with long-johns underneath, but I do have some pink (used to be white-ish) lined bib overalls around here someplace...unless the wife threw them out.  

For gloves I usually get the pig-skin work gloves lined with thinsulate.  They don't work very well, really, but once your fingers freeze they quit hurting, so problem solved.  My boots are Work Warehouse lined steel-toes. About as effective as the gloves, but an extra layer of socks helps a bit.

The biggest winter problem is, of course, that my beer freezes in the cup holder.

• KennyP said thank you