• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 10:00 PM

As winter is fast approaching and the cold and snow takes over.  Its time to start thinking about preparing our tractors to do battle with mother nature and staying safe while we do that.  I will be clearing sidewalks this year for the company I work for.  My boss and the owner will be in thier pickup trucks plowing the lots while I deal with the walks.   I will be using my 920 Allis GT with a 42" spring trip blade.  I am trying to find a cab for it as there is some concern about frost bite when I am out all night plowing during a storm.  I am running an amber strobe on the left fender, or the cab roof if I find one, along with a rear flood light and the stock headlights to the front.  I will also have a headset to protect my hearing as the diesel engine is quite loud and I suspect it will be worse inside a cab.   Post up your winter set ups and what you do to stay safe when out plowing/blowing snow.   Mike

• hamman, boyscout862, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,313 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 10:12 PM

Already got the plow on the wheeler and the nylon strap on the winch drum,wheeler has elec hand warmer grips. Snowblower is gassed and ready to go. I only use the blower on my driveway and sidewalk because of "forgotten" items at other folks places. Anyone else needs cleared the wheeler does it. I bought a pair of leather thinsulate mitts last spring and I'm sure they'll help my pinkies stay warm compared to leather thinsulate gloves.
Mike
  • hamman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 06:01 AM

I use my Farmall H and my Farmall Cub to plow my 700' driveway plus some of the next door niebors driveways . I wear a one piece insulated suit , full face ski mask and heavy gloves. It still get cold after a while but manageable . I have the regular tractor light and plow frame lights on th H that light up quite a bit in front of me.image.jpg
  • hamman and Titus have said thanks

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 06:10 AM

I've been working on the "snow removal equipment" all summer. Thought I was ready last year, but I was wrong; worst winter in twenty years. Reminded me of when I was a kid, several snows at 12+ inches and cold! Plow truck broke, bobcat decided one of the cylinders would start leaking bad, ~ a gallon every 2 hours. Truck is now fixed, cylinder rebuilt. Still need to install snow cab and homemade "heater" on the bobcat. And still looking for a snow blower to add another layer of redundancy. Don't want to get to the last resort, the shovel!

• GTTinkerer and hamman have said thanks

#5 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 06:20 AM

Depends on the weather, if I'm blowing, the 314 has a soft cab, no heater needed.  HPIM2635.JPG

If using the 420 w/54 blade:  HPIM2647.JPG  I use insulated Carhartt overalls & "chore coat".  If it's really cold, I wear a fireman's hood under my hat, otherwise, nothing over the ears.  Insulated leather gloves if needed!  ~~  Lowell

• hamman said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:02 AM

I got plenty of time, there's not 8" of snopw on the ground yet....which is usually about the time when I throw on the chains and plow. :smilewink:  :thumbs:

• hamman, dropped82 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Have the Jacobsen 1200 Super Chief HydroDSCF1614.JPG nearly ready to go. Use it with a blower, chains and rear weight. This year I will add a Craftsman 8hp walk behind 2 stage blowerDSCF7024.JPG to the group. Walk behind was given to me and needs  a little work on the chute rotator to make it ready to use. Starts and runs well. Also will be using neighbors 1989 Ford f-150 4x4 with plow to clean his drive as well as ours. (no picture yet) Not looking forward to the winter but realize it is coming. When on the tractor or using the blower I wear a Orange Hunting suit to keep me toasty warm.                                                                                                                                                        Roger

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:30 AM

I use my GC 2300 Massey, I have a home made cab thats all sealed up and a heater inside with a 48" front mount Ariens snow blower. Just finished redoing the snow blower's gear box and auger bearings. After 9 yrs of blowing with it I figured it was time to redo the bearings etc:It usually takes a couple of hrs to clean the driveway etc: If it fails I have my Massey 175 as a backup machine.

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 168 (Small).jpg
  • MF 175 005 (Small).jpg

• GTTinkerer, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Oh man...snow equipment seems so far off still!  Our colors are just about prime here in Southern MI, and the leaves will be coming down in bucket-fulls this week or next.  Then there will be some fall cleanup...run the chainsaw, split, chip limbs, burn brush, grading work, etc.  I use November to run through around a dozen tractors for fluid changes, general maintenance and small upgrades/projects, and put up mower decks.  Then around my birthday in mid December I'll suit up the tractors for snow.  Any snowfall before then melts off during the day anyhow.  If we get a surprise snowstorm, a dozer and chains are mounted in less time than it takes to down a cup of coffee.  If it's really big snow, my Legacy 2-stage blower mounts nearly hands free...drive up and go.

Here was last year's fleet of snow machines...I'll do fewer this year.  A couple efficient workers, and a few playthings.  Winter is my favorite tractor season.

20140217_190953.jpg

20140301_130000.jpg

20140107_090154.jpg

20140107_083812.jpg

20131202_174657.jpg

20140202_095437.jpg

I am normally in jeans and a couple layered shirts.  If it's snowing I throw a rain jacket overtop.  Once we begin having nites down below 10* or so, I have the Carhartt bibs on, and might add a hooded sweatshirt beneath my big flannel.  We had a near record number of sub-zero evenings and mornings last winter and I don't get the cold toes and hands when working on a tractor, that I do, say, while sitting tight in my deer stand in Oct and Nov.  I wear Muck boots these days, and love those things!  Just mechanics gloves to keep the wind and snow off my paws.  I put around 120 hours in a tractor seat moving snow last winter, and had no complaints.  

I am trying a cab this year though...I never cared for the soft side cabs before, but sitting inside this baby is an entirely different deal.  I'm tempted to add a 12V heater and blow snow in my skivvies, just to say I did.

20140422_065425.jpg

• massey driver, hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:43 AM

Mike, go for the cab, even if you have to make it out of 1/2" EMT. A fibreglass shower basin can make a nice roof. Plexiglas can work for the windshield. HF has a portable windshield defroster for $10. Use Rain-X on the inside and out.

Last spring I bought a cab for my Ford 2000. It was off a Ford 641 but should just fit on. It is steel framed and topped. The windshield is glass with a working wiper. The sides are sidecurtains. I figure it will keep the cold off me and put the lights up higher for better visibility. For $130 and a 20 minute trip, I made out well. Good Luck, Rick

I posted this a week ago. He has reposted it at $350.  http://gardentractor...00-swindham-ct/

Edited by boyscout862, October 16, 2014 - 09:42 AM.

• hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 08:34 AM

this is what i move snow with. all it needs is to have the loader and blade put back on 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00698.JPG
  • DSC00699.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 11:30 AM

I do have the little McCulloch walk behind that I got last winter for the walks.   HPIM3002.JPG   I could use it with just one arm, when I couldn't use the tractors, neighbor bladed the drive for me with his Suzuki Sidekick.  ~~  Lowell

• hamman said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Mike, go for the cab, even if you have to make it out of 1/2" EMT. A fibreglass shower basin can make a nice roof. Plexiglas can work for the windshield. HF has a portable windshield defroster for $10. Use Rain-X on the inside and out.

Last spring I bought a cab for my Ford 2000. It was off a Ford 641 but should just fit on. It is steel framed and topped. The windshield is glass with a working wiper. The sides are sidecurtains. I figure it will keep the cold off me and put the lights up higher for better visibility. For $130 and a 20 minute trip, I made out well. Good Luck, Rick

I posted this a week ago. He has reposted it at $350. http://gardentractor...00-swindham-ct/

Rick I like the idea of a shower base for the roof. The drain hole would be a good location for a beacon light too :)
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 StefC OFFLINE  

StefC
  • Member No: 59856
  • 127 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Gents this is a scary read. Coming from a part of the world where you have to drive 100's of Km and sometimes to another country to see snow, reading about your preparations is mind boggling to me.

Good luck and be sure that I will be glued to my technology to see your ventures while sweating our summer at an avg of 32C.

Mogster
  • hamman, Rock farmer, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:47 PM

No snow here..of course 1/2 will shut the whole state down if it does come...I can say I have never seen a snow blower,or shovel in my life.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and HowardsMF155 have said thanks