#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Not sure if we do push mower stuff here, but had a question that is puzzling me on a mower I got at swap meet. It is a Sears 22" Mulcher mower with 4hp engine and high wheels in back. Model starts with 917. if anyone knows the maker codes.  It has adjustable wheels, yet I have them all the way down and still not really cutting that short on grass. SO, went to sears to get blade and adapter pix and numbers. Compared pix to offers on epay and also went out and looked at mower and seems I have correct blade and adapter on it. Was thinking maybe would need a dipped down blade, but nothing like that available. SO, is there something I am missing that is making it this way?  Doesn't look like wheel mounts will move to any new holes, haven't removed to try yet, but don't look that way. Don't think engine is diff or changed, like the shaft may have been shorter say, not sure though. Just kinda stumped and it bugs me, I can't see to fix right now. What think?

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 08:08 PM

The wheels should adjust down to put it closer to the ground. I have one similar to that and I can get it to mow at 1 3/4" .  Got a few pics of it?    Good luck.

Roger.

#3 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Don't understand what you mean by "wheels all the way down". If the wheels are down in relationship to the deck it raises the blades. If wheel adjusters are in the upper slots or holes blades are closer to the ground. Wheels up/deck down...wheels down/deck up....Dave

• hamman said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 09:40 PM

Ya that's what I meant. Sorry I looked at it backwards from where I was standing.     Front wheels should rotate to the rear of the mower, rear wheels should rotate towards the front of the mower. At least the one I have works that way.                                                                                            Roger.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Took some pix today, what I could. Note blade seems new and correct one, with two little "scoops" in it to push grass around I suppose. Adapter looks like ones on site and ebay. Note the blade is high up in the body yet, about 1-1/2" from bottom still. I show wheels all adjusted to lowest spot. I tried to show the line of grass I cut with it, but doesn't show well. Seems to kind of lay the grass over and not cut it, like a dull blade, and it stands back up after awhile.  The blade does not have a real sharp bevel on cut edge like you would make if grinding your own, but most new blades aren't that sharp. Think blade is on right way, pulled rope and it seems to be using the cut edge as lead.  Thought maybe PO put it on backwards or something.  Got me stumped, and dissapointed now, bargain rig maybe not so good a deal afterall.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 007.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 006.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 005.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 002.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 003.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 004.jpg
  • Mower Troubles 2014-10-16 008.jpg

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Looks correct to me.

That "Dip" in the blade is for mulching

Bolens originally had this style patented in the late 50's and eventually other manufactures adapted the deck shape and blade. Funny how nearly 50 years later the same mulching design is used today!

• Alc said thank you

#7 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I would get on that blade with a good file and put an edge sharp enough to hurt yourself on.  I've found with the mulching blades, if the leading edge isn't SHARP, they tend to do exactly what you are describing.  I have them on my 38" deck and when they are sharp, the do an awesome job.  Once slightly dull (about every other cut) they just do a half hearted job, at best.

I just sharpen the outer 1/16 edge of the blade, even on the curved section.

• Alc said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:54 PM

How much air is between the deck and ground?
Add about an inch to that and you're looking at the grass height.

I have noticed that mowers keep raising the grass height. The newer mower at Mom's doesn't cut shorter than 2" and was factory set to almost 4"
  • Alc said thank you

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 09:51 PM

Your adjusters are definitely in the lowest cutting position. When you put the mower on a flat surface how far is the deck lower edge up from the ground? As Dave8338 suggests, I would hand file a sharp edge on your blade and retry it. I know you have what you think is the correct blade adapter but is there a longer one available from Sears? Something isn't quite right with your setup. You should be able to cut at about 1 1/2 inches and longer IMO. Good luck rectifying your problem.....Dave

• Alc said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 11:55 PM

Been looking around for a longer adapter say.  AYP an Sears names bring up one's I have, but don't offer any longer. Maybe longer wouldn't be any safer and more stress on crank?  I did find AYP that looks like mine that noted 1" depth, while other is 7/8" depth. Not much diff there and not sure that would do a thing for me. I didn't measure the deck to ground yet, but bet it isn't much more than 1". Will get back to you on that. Haven't sharpened yet either.