• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brokenflutes OFFLINE  

brokenflutes
  • Member No: 61057
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well the wife has had enough tractors, plows, tillers and guy talk about the same.  Well we made a deal and this winter I am restoring one but at the expense of the other.  It's like choosing which fishing rod to get rid of.  The Suburban 12 has three point hitch but I am to old to lift the disc with a single block on it.  If it were not for the alternative, getting old kinda stinks.  Got two plows, cultivator, snow plow, 42 inch mower deck all for the 12.  The 7117 has a tiller and ag tires with 50 lb wheel weights but most important has a hydro lift hitch, that old thing remember.  Both run great so you see my problem?  Figured I would toss the problem into you guys.  That way I can blame you when I am in mourning.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Oh geez....this seems so clear to me, but I will sit back and enjoy the opinions that will follow =)
  • HANKG said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Wow, you are in a dilema, I feel for ya.

Of course we know what Josh would pick  :poke:  :D

While I am a die hard Sears guy, I would sell all mine before getting rid of my Allis Chalmers.

If I "had to be in your shoes", the Sears would be going. As stated you have the hydro lift and it also has the 17 Hp Kohler pushing it. Get a mowing deck and they out mow about anything out there.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 11:36 AM

For the long haul the AC/Simplicities make sense. The hydraulic lift is really a no brainer. I'm putting a priority on power lift tractors now that my back goes out easily. Getting old is tough, but it still beats the alternative. Good Luck, Rick

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 11:47 AM

As much as I love the Sears tractors, I would say its the one that needs a new home (when compared to hydro lift othe simplicity and taking into account the Armstrong lift system on the Sears.)
You might look into a lift extension for the Sears, makes a difference... But I would say, sell the sears and use the proceeds to start looking for attachments for the simplicity.

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 12:31 PM

I would keep both and let the chips fall where they may.
  • KC9KAS and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Not knowing the full scale of your dilemma I have to agree with HANKG on this one. Can you compromise or what did you do to cause this major decision from the Misses. Can it be resolved with some special attention towards her?  Are there tractors in the living room or on the porch, parts on the dining room table, is there something your not telling us :( .  If I had to choose the Sears would go only because of the lift issue BUT! the proceeds would go towards future tractor funding....parts. Let us know what you done & if you keep both we need to see pics of the damage she did. :D

• HANKG said thank you

#8 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi brokenfluters, likewise I'm a Sears guy but  I'd sell the Sears and go with the 7117, hydro lift (and I also know about older arms and joints that hurt when using them).

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 03:33 PM

Sell them both and go buy A JD or Husqvarna (sic) new tractor at dealer and be happy.  Get a new one somewhere, get rid of junk and won't have to fix anymore, wife will be happy and you can spend more time with her or her wants and needs! (Like I can really believe any of this I'm saying myself!). 

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:07 PM

GL,I think your subconscious has been trying to talk you into that for a while now. :smilewink:

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:21 PM

GL,I think your subconscious has been trying to talk you into that for a while now. :smilewink:

His subconscious also tried to talk him into something else he hasn't followed up on, as made evident by his presence.

IMO, sell the Sears.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,570 Thanks
  • 3,953 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Keep the one that is easiest on you to operate. If you sell that one, every time you use the other one you will remember how much easier the other one was.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#13 brokenflutes OFFLINE  

brokenflutes
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well the opinions have been kinda one sided.  If I ever had any questions about which one to rework you all have settled that.  I am working up adoption papers for the Suburban 12.  Have to sell the mower deck and front snow plow along with it and find the same for the Simplicity.  While I have been watching I have seen very little on the 7117, why is that?  Seen a bit on the 7116 and 7119 but very few 7117. 

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Why don't you adapt the Sears attachments to work on the A/C and sell the Sears tractor? Make the adapter so that you don't alter the Sears 3pt on the attachments and will fit the rear lift on the A/C.

#15 brokenflutes OFFLINE  

brokenflutes
  • 22 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 01:10 PM

I did adapt the hydro-lift by drilling the lower 3 pt out to a cat 0 pin size and drilled the tiller bars out also.  Waiting for the top yoke to get back from the shop.  After the experience with the weighted disc I started to look at the possibility.  Makes the choice that much easier if it works.  Lots of Suburban attachments that will work great on the A/C I hope.