34 replies to this topic

#31 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 05:09 PM

well I noticed when I pulled the blown hose from the steering cylinder that the nose cone  is loose on it...

Uh, I am trying to think of what you mean by the nose cone. Do you mean where the hose threads on?

#32 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Uh, I am trying to think of what you mean by the nose cone. Do you mean where the hose threads on?

no I mean the end of the cylinder that the ram pokes thru and unthreads from the cylinder body.

• shorty said thank you

#33 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 07:28 PM

well the tractor does run!! I got it going today, with new points/condenser and replacing the wire from the coil to the points, it had a bare spot that someone had tied to fix with orange RTV right where it passed thru the points cover. 

I replaced the ruptured P/S hose from the column to the cylinder and bled it all out/got it full of oil; I stuck the fuel hose in a 5 gallon gas can that I had under the tractor for now (I have it jacked up)  and got it started by dribbling gas into the carb itself til it primed itself fom that 5 gallon can; I verified that the lift does work, and the P/S works, and got to watch as another hose blew (just a pinhole but that was "mess" enough....I think at this point I'm gonna have to replace em all, I'm not "chasing" leaks. 

I wish I still worked at the steel mill, had open access to the hose room including a Weatherhead crimping machine.  While there I got plenty of practice making hoses for all the hydraulic machinery associated with a steel mill....

• Trav1s and Cat385B have said thanks

#34 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Glad to hear it is alive.  I hear ya on replacing hoses... better safe than sorry.  Did it smoke when you fired it up?

• dodge trucker said thank you

#35 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Glad to hear it is alive.  I hear ya on replacing hoses... better safe than sorry.  Did it smoke when you fired it up?

nope. I did have it running to begin with, having left the cover off the points and was getting some "oil spray" and started looking to see where the breather is on this motor,  come to find out my oil spray was coming from one of the threaded holes for the point cover.  put that back on and no more oil spray til that hose blew on me and then there was quite a bit... youd be surprised how much oil and how fast it can pass thru 'just a pinhole"

• Trav1s said thank you