34 replies to this topic

#16 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 04:54 AM

So in the pick up conversation I misunderstood Mark. This is the lift cylinder. The lines are open so starting it would have pumped fluid out of the system. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem, That is what I had understood first too. Then somewhere I had remembered that he had posted that it was different than he remembered. But I could't find where he said that to make sure. With it being the lift cylinder, no fluid will run to there until the valve is opened.

#17 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:11 PM

so I can start and run it as long as I don't hit the lift? that makes me feel better as I have a couple lift cylinders on my "watch" file on feebay, could not find any steering cylinders listed.... I have looked on jacks small engines they have illustrated "blow ups" and it did look more like what they had pictured as a lift cyl than what the steering one looked like, but you all know about "generic pictures" in parts listings.....

What kind of hyd fluid do these tractors take?

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:17 PM

It runs off the hydro pump. I think they recommend a 30 or a 10-30 engine oil.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 12:19 PM

another question; I have the :service manual (my question would probably be answered if I spent a few minutes reading it instead of just "looking thru" it but you know, easier to just ask LOL)  

It appears that the steering and the rest of the hydraulics have 2 seperate reservoirs?  I seen somewhere that it said like 5w30 and ATF either Dexron or Type F (just don't mix) for the steering?    so there must be 2 seperate units?  I know where to fill the trans but have not yet seen the fill for the steering?

• shorty said thank you

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:56 PM

another question; I have the :service manual (my question would probably be answered if I spent a few minutes reading it instead of just "looking thru" it but you know, easier to just ask LOL)  

It appears that the steering and the rest of the hydraulics have 2 seperate reservoirs?  I seen somewhere that it said like 5w30 and ATF either Dexron or Type F (just don't mix) for the steering?    so there must be 2 seperate units?  I know where to fill the trans but have not yet seen the fill for the steering?

Now you got me curious. I was thinking that there was only one pump. I will have to check into that on the tractor I just got. 

#21 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Now you got me curious. I was thinking that there was only one pump. I will have to check into that on the tractor I just got. 

There's only one reservoir.  I've always used 10w30 on my GT's.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'd look at picking up a good used steering cylinder from one of our site sponsors. If you can get the original repaired and back together you can trade them, keep it as a spare or sell it.

I did just that today..via feebay

#23 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:31 PM

lift cyl kit and new fan just got here by mail today, tracking says my spare cyl should be here tomorrow,  maybe I can put the spare on the shelf for "just in case"    got other stuff to do with a couple warm days coming  this weekend,according to the weatherman--- means I gotta take advantage in other ways  not many 70* days left this year so may not get to play with the Ariens for a few days at least.....

• Trav1s and shorty have said thanks

#24 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:18 PM

I just had a thought on your cylinder. The little latch to switch from front to rear lifts can get a bit sticky at times. On the one I just got I have to get underneath to wiggle it to get it to switch. While you getting it together, you might want to make sure that it switches back and forth easily.

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 05:21 PM

ok got a question about this thing now that I got my kit and got the cylinder back together  (actually a couple)

Inside the cylinder in addition to the O ring ON the piston there was another one (same thickness and diameter) UNDER the piston.

Is this supposed to be there?  I only got 3 O rings in the kit; that one, the one that goes inside the cap and rides on the ram and the one that goes on the outside of the cap; but with this one underneath the piston, I took 4 O rings out of it...

also/ when I screwed the cap on, I got the cap as tight as I dare (hand tight + ~1/8 turn with a pair of pipe wrenches, maybe not even that much)  and though every pic I see, whether it be Google Images, or here or Ebay  every single lift cylinder I see for this application has the 2 fittings in line with each other, as it is at the moment on mine, with everything tight they are ~1/4 turn apart from each other.   I just got my "Plan B replacement" cylinder from Joe's Outdoor power/ and it too has both fittings in line with each other...

I don't think it would be OK to loosen the cap until they are in line, as I'm sure it would leak..... right?

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:17 PM

need to give this thread a nudge hoping to get answers to the Qs I posted in the thread just above this one.

also does anyone have a length on the hydraulic hose that goes from the column to the front of the steering cylinder? Mine is blown apart so bad I can't tell (it is in 2 pcs, what little was holding it together tore/ripped like a dry dish towel as I took it off so I could take it to the hose maker to have a new one made.

I will probably do the same to the other hose going to the back of that cylinder after I get this one back, so as to not mix anything up. that hose appears that it is shorter than the one going to the front of the steering cylinder would need to be.

Edited by dodge trucker, October 30, 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:21 PM

I can get some measurements for you.

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 05:37 PM

thanks Shorty.  happen to have to take tomorrow off work because my wife has one of those Dr appointments where they say she will need someone else to drive..... once that's taken care of I was hoping to stop by the hose shop on my way home.

do you know anything about what I asked in the post above that one, about the lift cylinder?

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I have never tore apart a hydraulic cylinder. So I am kind of clueless on that. I would think that loosening it back to be in line with the other fitting would leak like you were thinking. One thing there isn't a whole lot of room in there to have a hose coming off at a different angle. I am sure that others have messed with these cylinders before. Maybe if you would ask in the garden tractor forum it might get answered better. It would be more visible to others.

On the hoses, the front hose was 19" end of fitting to end of fitting and the back was 14".

#30 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 30, 2014 - 09:34 PM

well I noticed when I pulled the blown hose from the steering cylinder that the nose cone  is loose on it...

so hopefully that's a sign that  I can leave it a little loose on the lift cyl  too so that I can reach the fittings and not have it leak. 

the spare I got from EPay, I see that I'm gonna have to have a ram made like Markski did with the one that came with the tractor if I ever wind up needing another cylinder.  and that cap was not even snug/ hand  tight either. so I guess that that is how they are supposed to be. there is an O ring on the outside of that cap.

I had a new hose made today, price didn't seem too  bad, $17.50. 

also got a new battery for it.  Got the new hose on and put a new (used) dash panel on, as the old one was bent, I thought maybe that might be the reason the hood would not close, it looks better but the hinges are hitting the side panels up front, have not figured out why yet. I loosened the hinges under the exhaust heat shield thinking they may have been slotted and needed pushed up, but no.

I hope to try and fire up the engine tonite or tomorrow now that I have all the removed/broken hoses back together.

Edited by dodge trucker, October 31, 2014 - 06:08 PM.