• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 05:01 PM

I am going to be bringing home a GT 19 not too long from now. You guys may have seen it advertised for sale here a couple of weeks ago. I would be getting it "on the relay" as another member currently has it in his possession.

I have only seen a couple of pics of it so far,  do not have the exact numbers from it yet

The previous owner had taken the steering cylinder apart and I guess it is still in pieces, and he lost/misplaced the seal kit that he had gotten for it.  At this point I do not know if all the other parts are there for the steering cylinder, so I need to put out a "feeler" thread for 1. a steering cylinder seal kit

and 2. a steering cylinder that is at least good for parts so that I can reassemble the one that comes with or good enough that I can just bolt in and go.

Are these cylinders particular to the Ariens S series and GT series, or were they used on other applications? 

Is there another cylinder that will retrofit to this application? I know that the effort would be much more (Armstrong" steering) but if I cap off the lines (or loop them together) would the tractor be usable at all without  this cylinder for the time being? 

I had an S 16H a few years back (a basketcase) that I sent down the road for lack of an engine and other parts.... now I wish that I could have some how kept that one... I do not remember what the steering setup consisted of as it has been a few years ago and I honestly don't remember looking that hard at my previous one being that I could not readily locate a suitable engine at the time, which was my #1 concern at the time....

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I am thinking that Ariens used a steering system from another manufacturer. Who it was or where I picked that up, I am not sure. If most of the parts are with, a hydraulic repair shop would be able to fix you up with the rest. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 09:51 PM

I am thinking that Ariens used a steering system from another manufacturer. Who it was or where I picked that up, I am not sure. If most of the parts are with, a hydraulic repair shop would be able to fix you up with the rest. 

well apparently the guy had the kit and dismantled the cylinder, then lost the kit  so I can only hope that all the parts for it are there.

I have been looking thru Ebay and all that I see are "lift" cyliners, by the original "for sale" ad I can assume tat the steering cylinder and the lift cylinder are "not" the same part?

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 05:46 AM

I'd look at picking up a good used steering cylinder from one of our site sponsors. If you can get the original repaired and back together you can trade them, keep it as a spare or sell it.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 11:48 AM

The previous owner had taken the steering cylinder apart and I guess it is still in pieces, and he lost/misplaced the seal kit that he had gotten for it.  At this point I do not know if all the other parts are there for the steering cylinder, so I need to put out a "feeler" thread for 1. a steering cylinder seal kit

and 2. a steering cylinder that is at least good for parts so that I can reassemble the one that comes with or good enough that I can just bolt in and go.

Are these cylinders particular to the Ariens S series and GT series, or were they used on other applications? 

Is there another cylinder that will retrofit to this application? I know that the effort would be much more (Armstrong" steering) but if I cap off the lines (or loop them together) would the tractor be usable at all without  this cylinder for the time being? 

All you have to do is take all the parts to your local hydraulic shop and they should be able to put together a rebuild kit for you. I have rebuilt several cylinders of all sizes and kinds and I have always took the parts to my hydraulic shop and got a kit from them with no guessing on my part.

• Trav1s and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:42 PM

I have been looking thru Ebay and all that I see are "lift" cyliners, by the original "for sale" ad I can assume tat the steering cylinder and the lift cylinder are "not" the same part?

The steering cylinder has approx a 5/8 bore and the lift cylinder has closer to a 1 1/4" bore.

I checked the cylinder on the Gravely tonight which has the same frame. It is 15" closed and 19" extended. There is about 4 1/2" of the shaft that does not retract inside. 

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 11:02 AM

For you guys helping with this the tractor info is as follows:

Model: 931029

Serial: 000673

I have the service manual with the machine and it shows the serial numbers begin at 000101.  Engine is a Kohler 19 Series II and it has 1759 hours on it according to the hour meter.

I did not see any identifying marks on the cylinder last night but will check in better light. 

Oh yeah - this is one beefy machine

Edited by Trav1s, October 16, 2014 - 11:07 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Here is the ram and cylinder

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:18 PM

That is all standard seals and wipers, just go by any good Hydraulic shop and they will be able to fix you right up.

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:40 PM

The ram will will thread right on to the piston in the cylinder.  The machine work on the ram is amazing, too.

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I am just trying to line something up "just in case" as I have not seen it yet, and don't know what pieces may have gotten lost in storage.... nobody here has ever had THAT happen huh?

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Here is the ram and cylinder

Did you see which one is off the tractor? That sure reminds me more of the lift cylinder than the steering cylinder.

• Trav1s and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 06:51 PM

havent seen the machine yet/ goin by what I have heard so far.

Edited by dodge trucker, October 16, 2014 - 07:04 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 09:05 PM

So in the pick up conversation I misunderstood Mark. This is the lift cylinder. The lines are open so starting it would have pumped fluid out of the system. Sorry for the confusion.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Did you see which one is off the tractor? That sure reminds me more of the lift cylinder than the steering cylinder.

It is the lift cylinder.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks