• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Took apart the old DB and can't get the tranny pulley off. I have the set screw out and it looks like the pulley also threads on to the shaft. Is that correct and if so is it left hand or right hand thread ? Thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 09:34 PM

Took apart the old DB and can't get the tranny pulley off. I have the set screw out and it looks like the pulley also threads on to the shaft. Is that correct and if so is it left hand or right hand thread ? Thanks

well sort of. What  you should see is the hub in the center is actually a big nut. This threads into the pully, and is held in place on the shaft by a roll pin that's inside. you cant see the pin until you thread the clutch plate pullys off the nut. These don't come aprt easily and will fight you. Take care not to break the pully parts. lots of soaking is needed here with something like PB blaster. Its this nut and pully movement that adjusts the clutch. You have to keep the pully still and move the hub/nut inside it. Some guys tap out the little holes in the face of the nut and attach a bar handle on it so you can move it back and forth.

#3 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 09:53 PM

So kinda like the took for taking the grinding wheel off a hand grinder. Also do you think an air chisel with the pointed bit in it would work?
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 12:56 PM

So kinda like the took for taking the grinding wheel off a hand grinder. Also do you think an air chisel with the pointed bit in it would work?

yep that's basically what your making. some times we have chain down the axil so it cant turn and work against you. the air chisel might break the castings so be carefully. Patience is the key to getting it apart. It don't have to be done today tomorrow is a good day and the one after that better, if it comes to breaking stuff.

#5 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks man I did get it off. The clutch doesn't show much wear at ally but the pulley surface is kinda rough and pitted pretty bad. Is that going to be a problem ?

#6 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Also it had no gear oil or anything in it. I assume the axleseals are bad. Do I need to split the case to change the seals?

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 07:59 PM

you can just sand it down some and get the loose stuff off, it will polish up pretty quikly. The gear case hold 30 weight oil, not 80/90. I believe most of the older ones used a rawhide seal, that  you can dig out from the outside. to put ne ones on you have to polish up the axil shafts all the way to the case. Someone said one time that they put two seals on their, so it has twice the protection.

#8 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks on the pulley. As for the seal.these look new style. Metal outside and rubber inside I could be wrong on the rubber part.

Edited by stubbysteve, October 14, 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#9 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I made tools for removing the clutches. Took a flat bar and welded two dowels to it to fit in the holes on the center part. That way I can work the two back and forth to break the rust up. Also I usually tap on the flat parts of the other part to help shake the threads loose.

• Alc said thank you

#10 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Got the tranny apart. Now need source for gasket and seals. Also does the pulley shaft come out and if so how?

#11 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 11:42 PM

Found the info on the seals but still need info on gasket

#12 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:30 AM

You'll have to make your own gasket or use a good sealer. I used a sealer an the 3 tractors I've done. Check your axle where the seal surface is. There may be a groove worn in it from the seal. You can polish this up with emery cloth. The old seals are a pain to get out. I had to take mine out in pieces.

The pulley shaft should slide right out.

• Alc said thank you

#13 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 12:07 AM

Mine came out in pieces too. As for the pulley shaft it won't just slide out. And I can't find any type of a retainer for it. And I don't want to just tap on it with a hammer. It has the gear on it inside and a washer looking piece made on the outside.

#14 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:40 AM

The washer on the outside is a slight press fit, just pry from both sides and it will slide off.

• Alc said thank you