• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hi I'm new to the Kubota forum and just recently became a member of GTTalk, which is an awesome forum.  I have a 2013 Kubota BX2360 with FEL, box blade 48" tiller and 60" belly mower with mulching kit.  I mow my 2 acre yard with it and also maintain both sides of the county road to my house !/2 mile on both sides. the temperature runs just below the red when i mow the yard and then up in the red when I mow the ditches.  I can blow out the radiator, and make one round and then by the time I am on the second round it is back up in the red.  Radiator is full, overflow bottle is full and the pressure on the cap is correct.  it has been doing this since i brouhgt it home.  I have 307 hours on it now.  Has anyone else had this problem or heard of it on other Kubotas? Thanks Willie100_1498.JPG

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 12:48 PM

Welcome!  :wave:

I'd change out the thremostat.  I bet its sticking.

Another experience I've had....

This summer I was brush cutting with my Ferguson and it got hot.  I had kept the radiator blown out but I didn't catch that it was still dirty.  When I'd shine a flashlight into one side of radiator I could see some light through it so I figured it'd be OK.  

I parked it for long enough to cool down and used the garden hose, washing from the engine side,and I couldn't believe the crud that came out of the radiator.  When I was done I didn't need a flashlight to see through.  There was quite a difference.  It had no problem after that.

Now my Fergie is a 1952 model and the radiator is built much more losely than the newer machines like your Kubota.  Also I can get to the radiator better because its more open.   I doubt you will ever see light through the radiator because it is more enclosed and built different but you might try the garden hose.  

""DO NOT"" use a pressure washer or even a spray nozzle on the hose.  Just an open ended garden hose flushing backwards from the engine side.  The radiator fins will get damaged if there is pressure.  You just want the volume of water to flush debris out.   Do this with the engine cold.  Never spray a running or especially an overheated engine with cold water.  If you can get a Ziploc bag over your alternator that'd be great.  Anything to keep the water out of the alternator is good.  Let the alternator dry before starting the engine. You can use the blow-gun to help dry but hold it back a ways and don't stick the tip in the alternator.  

BEST OF LUCK and let us know how you come out.

Edited by Gtractor, October 13, 2014 - 01:11 PM.

• Cvans, Kmac1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 02:44 PM

It might be she's not hot at all, but rather a faulty gauge.  You never mentioned if it boiled over?  Our MF2745's (V8's) both run right against the red, but aren't hot at all.  I would see if you could switch out to a new gauge with actual numbers instead of color ranges.  Is this a mechanical or electric sender type?

• Gtractor, Cvans, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 02:51 PM

Another thing is not to run straight anti-freeze. Straight anti-freeze will run hotter than a 50% - 50% mix with water. 

• Gtractor, Kmac1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 05:05 PM

I had a Bx 2350 and the heat gauge never got above 1/2 even on hot days. If it doesn't  boil over like Old Cowhand mentioned then its more then likely your sending unit. As stated in above posts it would be good to do a check as to what the actual heat is.

#6 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 05:24 PM

No it has never boiled over, and being a new tractor last year I never thought to check the actual water temperature.  It is an electric sending unit and the gauge is white or red no numbers.  A 50-50 mix boils at 225 if I remember right from my mechanic days.  I will check it in the next few days and let everyone know.  Thanks for all the replies and advice.  Willie

• Cvans said thank you

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 07:48 PM

Willie, I have two thoughts. 

One is that Daniel is probably on to something.  These new tractors have a lot of sensitive electronics on them.  I bet that is the issue.

Second is that your machine is under warranty.  If that is true, I would let Kubota fix it for you for free!

Ben W.

#8 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 05:47 AM

I have had it to the dealer twice, the first time they blew out the radiator and said it was good to go.  The second time they blew out the air filter and replaced the fuel filter and said it was good to go. That was last Friday, I have not had a chance to mow with it since then because of the 4.7 inches of rain we have been blessed with.  When the weather permits I have ditches to mow, in the meantime i will check the water temperature with a thermometer.  Thanks Willie

• chieffan said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Just be careful opening the warm radiator, don't need any burns from this. Do you think there is a way to hook in a second gauge with #'s on it without voiding the warranty? That would tell you what temp it is at.

• Kmac1 and chieffan have said thanks

#10 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 06:07 AM

These are handy for many things and will tell you the temp you're running without opening the radiator or tapping in another gauge.

http://www.harborfre...69465-8905.html

• KennyP, Cvans, Kmac1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 06:19 AM

These are handy for many things and will tell you the temp you're running without opening the radiator or tapping in another gauge.

http://www.harborfre...69465-8905.html

Good idea!

#12 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yes that is a good idea and I do have one.  I use it on the rig when I get the temperature of the drilling fluid coming back out of the hole. 

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#13 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 11:41 PM

I love my infrared I use it all the time works great to tell if a catalytic convertor is bad

Tim

#14 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Took my Kubota out yesterday and mowed some pretty tall grass for about 2 hours and it never got in the red.  Took my infrared thermometer and check the radiator and it showed to be about 180 degrees.  The temperature outside was about 80 degrees so that may be why it didn't get hot like it usually does.  I will continue to watch it and keep GTTalk updated.  Thanks to everyone for the replies and comments.  Willie

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated.