9 replies to this topic

#1 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys,

I ordered this part from Sears in the hope it was the oil reservoir cap (was called OIL FILL CAP P/N 691363)

Now when I search the part on Sears, I can no longer find the diagram showing where it goes in the engine. Can anyone tell where this is supposed to go?

dyluut.jpg

ofui4w.jpg

23udkjp.jpg

Could be a drain plug?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 08:27 AM

This plug is used as a "Cap" for the oil ports where a fill plug or dipstick may go depending on what application the engine is for.

You were probably looking for the Yellow fill cap right?

#3 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 11:32 AM

yep. what I wanted was the cap for the transmission oil reservoir (I believe)

I took a chance on this part since it had such a close name and was $6

#4 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 11:33 AM

So, when you say where the dipstick would go, would you remove the dipstick/plastic fill tube and replace it with this plug?

Dumb question, but why would that be beneficial?

#5 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 11:44 AM

It would replace the plug/cap with the dipstick attached.  If you have a fill tube and removable dipstick, it is likely a press-fit with an oring.  

These are meant to plug the threaded holes (either side) of a universal fit small engine.  Briggs or Tecumseh that come with a fill hole on both sides of the block.  Depending on the application, the cap plug that you have, would be threaded into the non used port.

Hope that helps.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#6 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ah ok, so there should be an identical (but plugged) port on the opposite side of the engine from my fill tube/dipstick assembly?

I'll check it out tonight

#7 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 07:40 AM

So on the left side of the engine, the oil filler tube goes down to the reservoir. There's also a pair of plugged threaded ports, one on each side of the engine. They are both metal, though.

2ln9v94.jpg

This is the other side of the engine. I didn't see a threaded top port (similar to the oil fill tube port)

do0xhj.jpg

Any ideas?

#8 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 12:00 PM

You are correct in that you have a second oil drain plug.  Again, this is VERY common on multi-application engines.  Some times it works better on one side and other times, they use the opposite side.

The plug that you received, appears to be for a horizontal crankshaft engine.  They use the integral oil plug/ dip stick on the smaller 3-8 horse Briggs and Tecumseh series .  Again, similar to your engine and depending on the application, it varies as to which side the dipstick and fill hole  will be found.  Many times they plug the unused port with the plug that you ordered.  It is not intended to be used on the engine that you have in your tractor.

• aevansgatech said thank you

#9 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 12:25 PM

This is the engine (a stock photo) that I used on my little Ariens  tiller.  Note that they have the option of the oil fill/ dipstick location on both sides of the block, as well.  The Predator engines come with dual dipsticks (in orange) as opposed to the plug that Briggs used... the one that you ordered.

PICT1303.jpg

#10 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 213 Thanks
  • 261 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 02:39 PM

You are correct in that you have a second oil drain plug.  Again, this is VERY common on multi-application engines.  Some times it works better on one side and other times, they use the opposite side.

The plug that you received, appears to be for a horizontal crankshaft engine.  They use the integral oil plug/ dip stick on the smaller 3-8 horse Briggs and Tecumseh series .  Again, similar to your engine and depending on the application, it varies as to which side the dipstick and fill hole  will be found.  Many times they plug the unused port with the plug that you ordered.  It is not intended to be used on the engine that you have in your tractor.

Aha! Thank you Dave

That makes sense for such a high volume, multi-application engine, as you said.

Sounds like I have myself a $6 not-very-effective paperweight haha :thumbs:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford, oil, plug