Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 512
  • 1 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hey Guys,
I have a question:
Has anyone ever seen a MF16 voltage regulator produce a -3 vlots off the batt terminal? The engine is the Kohler K341. The Voltage Regulator is a new unit (not Kohler genuine parts). I have confirmed the stator output varies with engine rpm up to 29VAC as it should. I have even tried a different brand (I think it was JD) and had no luck.

Any thoughts....could I be missing something?

Thanks
Steve

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:16 PM

If the voltage regulator isn't grounded, it will not do it's thing. They ground through the mounting bolt, so be sure to scrape the paint to get a good ground. Another good idea is to use the toothed lock washers. They will bite right through paint to get the ground.
  • Klopfenstein MF16 said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 11:57 AM

You can always attach a ground directly too by running a wire from the ground terminal of the battery to a ring terminal that is mounted with the regulator mounting screw. Some of the newer Kohlers with plastic shrouds use this method.
  • Klopfenstein MF16 said thank you

#4 Klopfenstein MF16 OFFLINE  

Klopfenstein MF16

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 512
  • 1 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I took an alligator clip jumper wire from the aluminum housing portion of the regulator to the neg terminal of the battery...and ohmed it out with a meter to double check the connection. The AC wires are attached to the AC spades. With the engine at idle I am reading -1 volt at the BATT termainl, when I throddle up it will change to -3volts. Red + meter lead on Batt and Black - lead on the battery.

Typically, I would think the regulator is bad, but in this case, I have tried 3 used and 2 new regulators....could I really have 5 bad regulators.....even if they are not the OEM replacement?? They all came off a K341....

This thing seems very simple but its beatin me up!

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'm thinking you need to flip the leads on your meter. I would set your meter to DC, then check voltage at battery to see if it rises when you go full throttle. If voltage rises 1 or more volts DC, then aqll is good.

#6 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 06:32 AM

I agree with olcowhand. I think you're trying to read a DC voltage on the AC setting. If you are reading -3 volts on your + battery terminal then something is majorly wrong!