4 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Ok.  I bit the bullet and bought some replacement engine mounts from a e-pay site.  (they shipped to Canada using USPS and I didn't get dinged for taxes or import duties).  http://www.ebay.com/...sd=110816730864

My son and I pulled the motor.  Wow - we are way into it now.

IMG_3656-smaller.jpg IMG_3657-smaller.jpg

I'm not able to get the brackets off the motor.  The bolts that hold the mounting brackets to the bottom of the motor are threatening to not move.  I'm afraid that I will strip the hex head bolts or break the allen key (bolts sourced from Ikea?).

Question - how hard should it be to turn these bolts?

Question - if you turn the pump input shaft by hand should be smooth or have a vibration/pulse?

I believe the lovejoy coupler is in great condition.  Edges appear square and the rubber feels pliable.

IMG_3658-smaller.jpg

There was some oil in the pump housing and on the back of the motor.  No idea if it came from the back of the engine or the front of the pump.  Either way, I can't feel any end-play or side-to-side play in either shaft.  I'm not going to dig any deeper.  I'll just keep an eye on it.

• Alc said thank you

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 567 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 11:39 PM

When I tore my 224 down I could not get mine loose just left them on the oil pan. The pump is gear pump the  pulse is the teeth mashing together with oil or oil film on them.

• motobreeder said thank you

#3 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 12:38 AM

I may be able to borrow an air rivet gun so I won't have to take the plates to a shop to have the rivets installed.

Probably better to leave the mounting plates on the motor.  One less thing for me to put together wrong.

The way the pump feels - that makes sense.  Now that you mention it, it feels like straight-cut gears.

#4 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 08:25 PM

This stuff should come apart but it's likely to be a bit of a struggle, I usually rattle things apart with air impact as it tends to save on knuckle damage. As far as the pump goes be sure it's not leaking and if you have questions just replace it as they are easy to find and not a lot of cash. I recently dropped an 18hp Kohler V-Twin in a 646 and had to do a redesign on everything but the tractor now works very well. Sounds to me like a great father son project and I wish you good luck. Here are a couple pics of my little project.

IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

• motobreeder and dropped82 have said thanks

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 11:04 PM

I used my impact on those Allen screws and it did the trick. I was in the same boat with the threat of stripping. Get a good brand name bit and hit it with the impact. As for the rivets, I used a manual rivet gun and got the job done with some steel rivets. Can't remember the size but I got them at the hardware. Good luck!

Eric
  • motobreeder said thank you