• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Buchner OFFLINE  

Bill Buchner
  • Member No: 62612
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 10:50 AM

New to this Forum. I just bought a used STX38. The guy thru in a 48" snow blade with the deal. Is there a way to attach this?

John Deere dealer said the 38  wasn't built to handle this. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill Buchner

• oldedeeres said thank you

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 01:03 PM

Welcome Bill. I have two of these dandy little tractors, with the hydro shift. Love them, but I believe they're a little light for the snow detail. The most I ask of them other than mowing is to pull a heavy flexible harrow for road work. As you know, in spite of its fluffy appearance, snow is heavy stuff. Mounting the blade shouldn't be too hard to do, is it a straight blade or can you modify it to angle plow? 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Welcome to GTT. I agree that any LT is going to be over its capacity with snow plowing more than a few inches. The problem is also hitting hard objects which can break the aluminum transaxle of LTs. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 12, 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Had an LT160 with a blade on the front. My first tractor. With chains and some weight on the back it did ok in light snow. Heavy or deep snow, forget about it. It had trouble on the uphill portion of my driveway but was so small and maneuverable that I could plow across the driveway and eventually get to the top. I had a good walk behind blower that I used for heavier snow. I only kept it 1 year and traded it for an X475. Over twice as heavy and a real GT. Big difference. 

If you want to try it make sure you have a set of chains and a bit of weight on the back. If that blade does not have a trip spring be careful and make sure you know where any obstacles are. I remember hitting something with the 160 and the frame flexed enough to pop the hood open! I still see a lot of 38s around here. They seem to be great mowers. 

#5 Bill Buchner OFFLINE  

Bill Buchner
  • Member No: 62612
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Guys for the comments, I'll keep it all in mind. Probably try and trade it off for something bigger