10 replies to this topic

#1 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:59 PM

I picked this up the other day. It is a 1951 Montgomery Ward Chor Trac Special (by Simplicity) that is similar to a Simplicity M-1 only with a Clinton instead of Briggs.  After getting it home my thoughts are to do a refurbish. It hasn't run for a few years plus a tree fell on the poor thing at some point and broke the carb elbow to the head and the air filter.

I parked it next to my David Bradley for a comparison, and attached the 1951 MW catalog page.WP_20141009_0051.jpg WP_20141009_0061.jpg Chor Trac Catalog Page.jpg Now I have two tractors that were marketed by the big retailers from my home town, Chicago.

• earthgrinder, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 04:14 PM

That will be a nice looking tractor when you get it done.

If you need Clinton parts, let me know.  :D

Ben W.

#3 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

MrMarty51
  • Member No: 62893
  • 141 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 04:43 PM

That is nice, very nice, both of those.

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 06, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Missed this post Pretty neat tractor !

#5 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have the tractor apart to repaint it. It seems as if it was Simplicity Orange after all. It doesn't appear to be a primer similar to the way David Bradley used a dark green primer. I have decided on Rustoleum Chevy Orange as the closest to paint underneath parts that were originally bolted together.

Surprisingly the gearcase had "virgin" grease after 62 years in the hollow of the idler gear. The gasket disintegrated so I plan on using a RTV as it is only grease and not oil in there.

The engine is in poor shape with the cracked mainfold allowing water into the head and is going to be a winter project. So in the meantime, I have a HF 6.5 hp engine to put on it so to be able to use it with a snowplow this winter. I know - Blasphemy!

WP_20141106_0081.jpg WP_20141107_0041.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 08, 2014 - 11:35 AM

The gasket disintegrated so I plan on using a RTV as it is only grease and not oil in there.

I would check it dry first to make sure you don't need a gasket to get the right endplay.

• Alc, Lauber1 and WHdbJD have said thanks

#7 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 08:12 PM

I should have included a shot of the other side. The gear case is made from stampings so the other side doesn't carry any load. It is a very simple gearcase compared to other manufacturers.  My David Bradley is a lot heavier and runs the chain in oil. The only part on the blank side is a 1" ID grommet to contain the grease which is disintegrated as well but I found a source for it. My Power Trac, which is ten years younger, uses a cast case.

I am thinking of using wheel bearing grease when I reassemble it but wonder if that would be compatible with the grease in a tube for later. I won't put as much in it as from the factory. In the manual there is no maintenance called for so I assume that these were pretty much bullet-proof.

WP_20141107_0031.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 10:17 PM

The engine is in poor shape with the cracked mainfold allowing water into the head and is going to be a winter project. So in the meantime, I have a HF 6.5 hp engine to put on it so to be able to use it with a snowplow this winter. I know - Blasphemy!

attachicon.gifWP_20141106_0081.jpgattachicon.gifWP_20141107_0041.jpg

Chucking the original engine is blasphemy, instead you are rebuilding it so no worries, we repower tractors all the time with different engine for many different reasons.

#9 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted November 10, 2014 - 08:22 AM

You could use JD cornhead grease in the gearbox.  It is like really thick oil.  The problem with wheel bearing grease is it eventually gets voids in it that allow metal to metal contact.  Cornhead grease flows to keep everything lubed, but is thick enough not to leak out of crude seals too bad.  I run it in the steering box on my Oliver that is supposed to have 80w90 in it.

#10 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 08:43 PM

You could use JD cornhead grease in the gearbox.  It is like really thick oil.  The problem with wheel bearing grease is it eventually gets voids in it that allow metal to metal contact.  Cornhead grease flows to keep everything lubed, but is thick enough not to leak out of crude seals too bad.  I run it in the steering box on my Oliver that is supposed to have 80w90 in it.

Is it thick enough like in the photo of the old grease? It really took me a while to clean that out without pulling the shafts and axle. I didn't want to disturb the seals and needle bearings.

Edited by shallowwatersailor, November 13, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#11 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Cornhead grease is about the consistency of warm pudding.  The grease in your picture was probably thinner 60 years ago.

• shallowwatersailor said thank you