• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clubmike OFFLINE  

Clubmike
  • Member No: 58034
  • 23 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:11 AM

I want to change the hydraulic fluid in my cub 129 and put in a new filter, do I fill it back up via the plug in the rear end? The trans and rear end all look to be the same hydraulic system, my manual was not very clear, it just said check the fluid level and change the filter.

I tried searching for info however I was unsuccessful.

Mike

• Gabriel said thank you

#2 bigspoon OFFLINE  

bigspoon

• Member No: 7851
  • 137 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yes fill it up with Hy Trans to the bottom of the fill hole
  • Gabriel said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Easiest and best way I have found to change it is to take the back cover off of the transmission to drain it.  Then you can also clean out the differential housing in case there is any particles in it.  Put a new gasket on it and re-install the cover and then fill to the pipe plug on the cover.  Put a new filter on before you fill it with new fluid and you will be good to go.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 11, 2014 - 10:07 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 zippy1 ONLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 11:15 PM

I do as was mentioned earlier. But when removing the cover bolts I LOOSEN THEM, not taking them all the way out. That way you can get a scraper in the bottom and pry it open a little for drainage so you don't end up with a big mess.

Also while cleaning out the gunk that's usually inside of the differential use a cloth rag, not paper towel. I left a small piece of toweling behind one time that got sucked up into the suction tube. That was a mistake I did one time, and one time only.

I had everything changed, went to till a food plot, got done and on my way home the tractor stopped dead in it's tracks. For the life of me I couldn't think what would have happened. Got it back to the shop, drained all the fluid back out got to looking with a flash light... there was a piece of toweling. Lesson learned. :wallbanging:

• IHCubGuy and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 14, 2014 - 02:50 PM

I do as was mentioned earlier. But when removing the cover bolts I LOOSEN THEM, not taking them all the way out. That way you can get a scraper in the bottom and pry it open a little for drainage so you don't end up with a big mess.

Also while cleaning out the gunk that's usually inside of the differential use a cloth rag, not paper towel. I left a small piece of toweling behind one time that got sucked up into the suction tube. That was a mistake I did one time, and one time only.

I had everything changed, went to till a food plot, got done and on my way home the tractor stopped dead in it's tracks. For the life of me I couldn't think what would have happened. Got it back to the shop, drained all the fluid back out got to looking with a flash light... there was a piece of toweling. Lesson learned. :wallbanging:

I try to keep rags of any kind out of the tranny area in case of forgetting one or letting a piece like you have mentioned.  I just lift the front up on blocks a little and use parts cleaner and a brush to flush out the residue and accumulated debris letting it run out the back into an oil pan.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 14, 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you