• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 avery53 OFFLINE  

avery53
  • Member No: 62206
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I just received my overhaul set for my Tecumseh HH120, the rings have no expander rings. Is this a newer design that does not require the expanders? I've never seen a set without them.

Thank you

avery

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Let me guess Stens rings?Tecumseh OEM brand rings will come with them but it's getting hard to find a good aftermarket set of rings. 

Most of Stens junk is made in Taiwan,China or India.They work don't get me wrong but the Quality is not even close to an Original OEM part.If you can find OEM rings they will be twice as much as an aftermarket set BUT OEM rings will Last Twice as long.

Lately the aftermarket parts are getting Really Really cheaply made.I bought an aftermarket Stens Coil for an old Briggs engine and the whole spark plug lead fell off as I was pulling it out of the box.Luckily I bought it Locally and did not have to ship it back to get another one.

Kohler rings are the same way.

Kohler OEM ring set $35

$(KGrHqJHJEME91+M56,8BPlu2D0(EQ~~60_12.JPG

Stens Kohler ring set $24

7d_1.JPG

Cheap no name Piston and ring set $32

!CF,Fe6QCGk~$(KGrHqEOKkEE0,Q9ssr5BNV!VFrndw~~_12.JPG

Notice the OEM rings have the spring,the Stens set does not and the Cheap set has a 1 piece Oil ring.These are All Kohler K301 STD ring sets and they are all made differently.

• avery53 said thank you

#3 avery53 OFFLINE  

avery53
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Mine has the one piece like in your picture, the ad read  This is a professional quality rebuild kit for Tecumseh engines..  Maybe  "Caveat emptor" applies here.

I guess we will see

Thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Back in my early years messing with small engines, none of the ring sets had expanders.  Just a wide one piece oil ring.  

• limebuzz, HDWildBill and superaben have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Back in my early years messing with small engines, none of the ring sets had expanders.  Just a wide one piece oil ring.  

Wow! they had engines back then? :poke:  :rolling:

• olcowhand, limebuzz, MH81 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 04:21 PM

:ditto:

The type of rings being discussed has nothing to do with quality, the old style actually only had one big ring with no expander on most brands. New style often have the expander with the two thin rings to go around it.

Not all aftermarkets are poor quality, being in the parts business I know this firsthand, I do stick with USA parts if at all possible though.

• GTTinkerer and superaben have said thanks

#7 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 04:27 PM

Auto makers did away with the second piston expander years ago found they didn't need em and less tenison= less friction=better mpg.But them one piece oil rings really suck,they don't follow the cylinder wall as well as the 3 piece oil ring(2 scrapers rings with expander to hold them to the cylinder wall)again less friction.Them one piece oil rings are model T type thinking.

I fine it a shame that a guy can't find good rings these days besides the imported junk but thats probably because the major ring makers cannot make a profit on tooling up to make  small batches of different size small engine rings.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 04:34 PM

I fine it a shame that a guy can't find good rings these days besides the imported junk but thats probably because the major ring makers cannot make a profit on tooling up to make  small batches of different size small engine rings.

Some manufactures like Wisconsin are still making them along with factory service parts but they are getting hard to find for some brands. All has to do with demand.

I find it not many people want to pay a bit more for an OEM part so with none leaving the shelves the manufactures have no choice but to discontinue the items.

It also seems that rebuilding an engine is becoming a thing of the past as people are now fascinated with "Repowers" putting in a 60HP engine in place of the original 6HP  :(

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:29 PM

It also seems that rebuilding an engine is becoming a thing of the past as people are now fascinated with "Repowers" putting in a 60HP engine in place of the original 6HP  :(

But Brian, in some cases it takes a "modern" 60hp engine to do what that vintage 6 could do!  :smilewink:

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:58 PM

Some manufactures like Wisconsin are still making them along with factory service parts but they are getting hard to find for some brands. All has to do with demand.

I find it not many people want to pay a bit more for an OEM part so with none leaving the shelves the manufactures have no choice but to discontinue the items.

You are correct that some manufactures do still supply oem parts,I think what is hurting them is someone sees a part on e bay that is supposed to be the same for less money thus taking the ability for the oem part manufacture to sell at a fair profit,and as you say they have to quit making parts.

You are also correct that rebuilding engines is becoming a thing of the past--sad but true.

And yes I have seen a couple of over powered repowers that now has someone crying in their beer cus the transaxle broke. 

I'am sure you and most people here love our old iron.

I always buy oem parts when I can----they fit right and work right.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#11 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:10 PM

But Brian, in some cases it takes a "modern" 60hp engine to do what that vintage 6 could do!  :smilewink:

Your right about that,and where are these modern engines going to be in 30 to 40 or more years? I can tell you where--they will have been recycled about several dozen times.

I like my old iron thank you as I'am sure most of you do.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:55 PM

That was the style Tecumseh started with.  Early magneto style HH120 Tecumsehs should come with one piece oil rings standard. 

Mine has the one piece like in your picture, the ad read  This is a professional quality rebuild kit for Tecumseh engines..  Maybe  "Caveat emptor" applies here.

I guess we will see

Thanks

It sounds to me like you bought one of my rebuild kits off either eBay, Amazon, or any of the other places they appear.  :wave:

The piston rings do not come with expanders simply because the rings are high grade steel and do not require them.  Hastings piston rings actually produces the set (not the piston though) and Hastings makes the best replacement rings you can get. 

I understand why you want the expanders.  I personally prefer them.  But on overhauling my engines, and selling these kits, I've not heard of premature failure yet (knock on wood) that resulted from a ring. 

Take care installing the rings, and they will treat you fine. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and avery53 have said thanks

#13 avery53 OFFLINE  

avery53
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:35 PM

This engine came with a 1 piece oil ring, but it had an expander.  I was just concerned whether it was needed or not.

I am glad to hear it has a quality ring set. She's pretty much together now, hopefully I can get it running this weekend, lots of leaves to rake up.

Thanks everyone

avery

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hastings Manufacturing makes awesome rings, and have been doing so for 99 years now!

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Do a little research on the best way to break in or seat new rings. There are lots of theories, almost as many as people, but with a little research, you will be able to sort the crackpot ideas from the good and make your own decision.

I believe Kohler's rebuild manual has a procedure. Can't find the manual or the passage I am talking about, but I swear I remember reading it somewhere.
  • boyscout862 said thank you