sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Got a call two nights ago from a guy with a D4-10 and sickle mower for sell. Asked if I was interested in buying.......well yes sir I sure was interested. I asked the price and if the D4-10 would run. He said it had at one point but not recently. Honestly, I did not care about the tractor, it was the sickle mower that I had been searching for a long while, that was getting my full attention. A deal was made and the next morning I picked it up. A long drive early in the morning (in the dark), but well worth the time spent. First time I have bought a BH and did not even check the cluster gears condition before buying it. Once I have confirmation it's original for a Bush Hog, I will post pictures off the tractor and provide dimensions etc. it has had some additional supports added so I will have to figure out what all is missing and try to locate those parts. I feel pretty confident the front mounts are BH and the color of this sickle mower is orange and I was told from an old factory manager this was the correct color.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, October 10, 2014 - 10:16 AM.

• olcowhand, DH1, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:23 AM

That would be cool, one of those hole grail items for ya!

I have a buddy, spent a lot of years trying to collect 1 of every Sears suburban attachment. He still working on it  haha

• MH81 and sacsr have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:27 AM

There are truly only 2 Bush Hog items I'd really like to find & buy.  One is an original Ark loader for a JB, and a sickle mower, preferably a 3 point model for the JB, but a belly model for the D series would be fine too.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Very cool!  

• sacsr said thank you

#5 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:36 AM

Nice find, now you will have to let the grass grow for while so you can play with it.

• sacsr said thank you

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:58 AM

How are you going to have any grass to grow with all these Gts in your yard?

• sacsr and superaben have said thanks

#7 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Nice find Scott
  • sacsr said thank you

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:51 PM

I posted on the Haban forum about trying to find out if the 402C was the correct sickle mower model number for Bush Hog. Erwin responded there was no information from what he could see in the manual section, where they had made one specifically for our BH's. Looking at the BH owners manual it makes sense they just took one of the Haban models and built the mounting parts in house. You will notice in the BH sickle mower manual, the sickle mower parts are all listed under Haban as the contact for replacements. BH shows the mounting hardware (front), belts, etc as their part numbers. This would pretty much confirm Haban did not build a specific model for BH.

If anyone can confirm or contradict this, please let me know.

Just a fyi, the BH snow blower was made by Haban as well.

• DH1 said thank you

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:54 PM

How are you going to have any grass to grow with all these Gts in your yard?

Agreed, I have too many shading out the grass in my yard.....looks like a bunch of pup tents........may have to drive it down the street and cut the ditch banks by the woods.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Nice Scott. A one in a lifetime chance possibly.
  • sacsr said thank you

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Great find there!

• sacsr said thank you

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 06:24 AM

I posted on the Haban forum about trying to find out if the 402C was the correct sickle mower model number for Bush Hog. Erwin responded there was no information from what he could see in the manual section, where they had made one specifically for our BH's. Looking at the BH owners manual it makes sense they just took one of the Haban models and built the mounting parts in house. You will notice in the BH sickle mower manual, the sickle mower parts are all listed under Haban as the contact for replacements. BH shows the mounting hardware (front), belts, etc as their part numbers. This would pretty much confirm Haban did not build a specific model for BH.

If anyone can confirm or contradict this, please let me know.

Just a fyi, the BH snow blower was made by Haban as well.

Nice find Scott. Sickle mowers are one of those attachments with a big "cool" factor.

I have a spread sheet that Erwin sent me some time ago. There is no 402C listed, but

the 402A, 402D, and 402E where all made for IHC Cub Cadets.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:04 AM

Doing some research in my binders.....I never had looked that close at one of my sickle mower manuals, assuming it was the same as the rest.......then I realized the cover on this manual was different. Instead of a D4-10 with a sickle mower, it has a HD-12 with a sickle mower pictured. May be the only manual in existence. I am not going to scan the whole thing since it is the same manual as the D4-10 manual, just a different cover. The picture on the cover is not clear so the scan of the picture will not be clear. Still a pretty cool factor for sure!!

I had a great guy from Haban send me an email. He looked at my pictures and the BH sickle mower diagram. He says it is a 402-C with a few changes. The front mount of the C has been cut off and welded in reverse so the adjustable mounting holes are shifted to the front of the assembly so it can be attached to the BH front mount. The rest of the sickle mower pretty much looks the same except for the mounting brackets. Maybe we will get to the bottom of this yet.

HD12SickleMowerCover_0001.jpg

• IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Another note about Haban just providing the sickle mower and BH building the mounts. I was looking at the 3pt rear sickle mower that BH offered and surprise, surprise. Same type of set up. The sickle mower is Haban, but all the mounting parts and drive (pulleys etc) were made by BH. This seems to confirm my belief that Haban did not make a specific mower for BH. When I have time, I will scan and upload the 3PT version of the sickle mower to the manual section.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Congratulations Scott, al l your hard work is paying off. I'm so happy you found one. Can't wait to see video of it running.
  • sacsr said thank you