37 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:06 PM

It was a mischievous trap.  It really was. 

Some of you know that Old Buzzard piloted the HMS Rainmaker through the narrow shoals into the Old Paths Equipment harbor recently to drop off his very special HDT1000 diesel Bolens for a refurbish. 

So as he docks, and I stroll down to meet him, lo and behold not one Bolens but two Bolens are on board!  Then I hear the sad, sad, story, how single handedly Old Buzzard saved a Bolens G11 from a forgotten life as possibly yard decoration and future decomposition.  I sympathized, praised, and nodded all along.  Old Buzzard attempts to start the G11, and it won't start.  Low battery.  So I get to go all over the poor old tractor with jumper cables hooking it up for a little boost. 

Then I hear all the nasty little details.  The G11 is a rare old bird ("Ah, yes" said I).  Nobody knew the G11 existed ("Most certainly," said I).  The G11 would look beautiful restored ("Si, si" said I).  The G11 would be a great addition to any collection ("Of course," said I).

Then we unload the HDT1000 and we croon and swoon over diesel soot and dream of making it shine.  We get nearly distracted doing that. 

Just as I get ready to move off the HDT1000 and let the Rainmaker pull up the gangplank and make sail, Old Buzzard leans over and says, "Ben, how would you like to own a Bolens?"

I knew that was coming.

I felt so.... used.  Drug along like that.  Forced to admire a tractor and then forced to look interested. 

That's how I fell kicking and screaming and punching and moaning into the proud ownership of a G11.  The first Bolens four wheel tractor I have owned.

IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0856.JPG IMG_0857.JPG IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

So you'd think that would be all.  I would lick my wounds and realize how used I really was and I how I need to carefully mark my words around tractors.

Well it wasn't.

And its all Old Buzzard's fault.

Really.

I was browsing Craigslist late at night (dumber than wearing a chicken suit into a Perdue processing plant) and I happened to see the magic word "Bolens" pop up.  I expected some MTD garbage, but in the picture I saw the unmistakable steel tube frame hood. 

I should have gone by my gut.  Run for the hills.  Kick up dust while its dry. 

But I went ahead and did the conservative thing.  I closed the tab on my browser and figured the guy had already sold it.

You think I did that?

Na.

First I sent him an email.  First thing the next morning (since I really didn't want to begin a business relationship by calling someone far too late at night) I called him and said I was coming that night.  Be ready.

And when I got there, I found a pretty darn nice looking Bolens 850. 

IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG IMG_0874.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0877.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG

So that's how I fell into a Bolens trap. 

In one week, I went from no Bolens to owning a Bolens dynamic duo.

And its all Old Buzzard's fault, too.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 26 others have said thanks

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:17 PM

It will be hard to drive two tractors at once! Anyway, congrats!

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:20 PM

The G11 is a rare old bird ("Ah, yes" said I).  Nobody knew the G11 existed ("Most certainly," said I).  The G11 would look beautiful restored ("Si, si" said I).  The G11 would be a great addition to any collection ("Of course," said I).

Then we unload the HDT1000 and we croon and swoon over diesel soot and dream of making it shine.  We get nearly distracted doing that. 

Just as I get ready to move off the HDT1000 and let the Rainmaker pull up the gangplank and make sail, Old Buzzard leans over and says, "Ben, how would you like to own a Bolens?"

To which one should reply, "Always room for another diesel around here!".

• boyscout862, superaben, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:42 PM

To which one should reply, "Always room for another diesel around here!".

Now you tell me.

That would have been a great response.  I have half a mind to call up OldBuzzard and tell him he sold me the wrong tractor.

Ben W.

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have a feeling that somewhere along here we're supposed to say," aaaah poor you"..... but we're not going to. You played that well, lol.

• MH81, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:27 PM

I have a feeling that somewhere along here we're supposed to say," aaaah poor you"..... but we're not going to. You played that well, lol.

I'm not buying any of what he's shoveling either...

Couple good looking Bolens Tractors there. Congrats.
  • boyscout862, superaben, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#7 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:55 PM

Wait till he see's the 1886 I'll be dragging along when I pick up the HDT :rolling:  :rolling: :rolling:  :rolling:  

• JDBrian, boyscout862, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#8 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 11:00 PM

I must say, superaben, you told story so well I believe you may write story books for a living. :smilewink:

Welcome to the Bolens ownership club. The G-11 and the 850 are a good start. Heavy duty tiller and a mower deck. :thumbs:  But, I didn't see the sno-caster that goes with that chute direction rod mount on the 850 bolted on the right foot rest.

:dancingbanana:

• superaben said thank you

#9 Cheesehead11854 OFFLINE  

Cheesehead11854
  • Member No: 60276
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 03:40 AM

Six more and Budwiser can hire you to haul the beer wagon around. Guess that means you still need a six pack of Bolens to do the job right!

• superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM

Wait till he see's the 1886 I'll be dragging along when I pick up the HDT :rolling:  :rolling: :rolling:  :rolling:  

:firejumper: :firejumper: :firejumper:

Talk about manipulation! 

Talk about underhanded dealing!

Talk about good ideas horrible situations!

Haven't you done enough harm already?

Ben W.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:12 AM

What do you mean?  I need a pity party!

I must say, superaben, you told story so well I believe you may write story books for a living. :smilewink:

Welcome to the Bolens ownership club. The G-11 and the 850 are a good start. Heavy duty tiller and a mower deck. :thumbs:  But, I didn't see the sno-caster that goes with that chute direction rod mount on the 850 bolted on the right foot rest.

:dancingbanana:

I doubt if I'll write storybooks.  People only buy what they can believe, and I am so full of it that it is hard for me to imagine folks beating the door down to buy "Ben W. Books".  

I wish I saw the sno-caster, too, but I didn't get it.

Ben W.

• oldedeeres and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:45 AM

Welcome to the 4 wheel Bolens club :thumbs:

as with all Bolens I'm compelled to point out the good bad and the ugly!

G11-  Looks to be road hard and put away wet many times but in decent shape none the less.

850- Probably a 1966 From what I can tell, the engine was swapped at some point in the machines lifetime but that could have been done by a dealer as that is a "Replacement" engine from wisconsin judging by the paint on her.

The seat looks to be taken off an old Lawn Keeper possibly as the covers are red.

Looks to be in great shape and will have a little more pep than most 850's since its got the 10HP in there now :thumbs:

What do you plan on doing with them? Are these going to be the designated mowers at the "Old Paths" grounds? :D

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Congrats on the 2 new tractors!

#14 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Nice deduction skills there Doc, and as for you Ben your so easily led.

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:33 AM

I'm afraid the Captain of the Rainmaker left you with an incurable disease. He was fishing and you got hooked for sure! Stay away or you may end up swallowing hook, line, pole, and eventually the entire ship!!
  • superaben, HANKG, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks