• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:30 PM

I found this Bolens. The seller is firm at $300 . It runs great, There is no mowing deck but it has the blade and a snow blower. It also has rear wheel weights and tire chains. The original owners manual is included. I'm told that the head cracked and was replaced , along with a new gasket, of course.

downsize(1).jpg

1009141704.jpg

It appears to be all original except the previous owner driiled holes in the hood for some ugly headlights. They will come off first thing.

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#2 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:31 PM

School me a little on Bolens. The seller thinks this tractor needs "a clutch". It cranks and runs great but will not move. The two clutch linings appear to be intact. I hope that the disengauge / freewheel thing, that he probably isn't aware of, is in the freewheel mode. If the trans input shaft turns but the wheels don't turn , that could be the reason, right? If the positraction variable thingy at the left rear hub is cranked all the way out (counterclockwise) would that disable the drive axles? I am going back to make my decision tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

#3 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:37 PM

$300 is alot for it.

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:43 PM

$300 is alot for it.

So, what in your considered opinion WOULDEN'T be "a lot"?

250, 200, 150, 100, 50, or maybe you expect to have someone pay you to take it off their hands?

#5 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:04 PM

So, what in your considered opinion WOULDEN'T be "a lot"?

250, 200, 150, 100, 50, or maybe you expect to have someone pay you to take it off their hands?

Sorry I missed read? its a none moving tractor?  If it just the freewheel pin in the rear I say it worth $5,000 any day. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 05:41 AM

I have to agree with jerome on this one, looks like the old girl has seen better days. Looks to be some shoddy electrical work with the coil bolted to the side and loose wires everywhere!

Could also have a bad transmission since alot of  these early models made it out of the factory without a brake drum!

• wilberj and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 08:47 PM

I checked the tractor out again today. The "freewheel pin" was in the engaged position. I tried putting the trans in a couple different gears , first and reverse actually, and turned the driveshaft with my hand. No movement of the rear wheels. Bad sign, huh? The trouble is obviously inside the transmission. The owner , who recently bought it from the original owner, says it pulled fine and was parked in a shed for a while then would not pull when they tried to use it again. What could happen in the trans while sitting? Anything that could be stuck from sitting? Thanks.